Umming and Aaaahing... MBP & Macworld...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oh-es-Ten, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

    Oh-es-Ten

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Hi All,

    Last year, I had my brand new (2 week old) MBP Santa Rosa stolen. Ouch.

    It was a work machine, so an insurance claim was filed and now finally the cheques have gone to the reseller, so tomorrow (Thursday) it should clear and my new SR MBP 2.2Ghz with 4GB RAM Upgrade.

    Since then my very patient girlfriend has allowed me to use her white Macbook as my work machine for many months, so I am quite eager to get my own machine and give back hers.

    I got in touch with the reseller and asked them about a possible refresh of the MBP next week. They are one of the UK's largest resellers and they were surprised it was not refreshed yesterday with the Pros / XServes, but also their info lead them to believe that a refresh is not likely at Macworld.

    I have two options -

    1. Order Now - should be delivered quickly. If a new model comes at Macworld, I could pay the 10-20 percent restocking fee to upgrade to it, but would have to send the current one back ASAP.

    2. Wait until Tuesday to see how it shakes out. However this would mean another week at least without a machine.

    Most people would say Option2, BUT - they said that it normally takes 2-3 weeks for the stock to get into all the channels, and then possibly another week or more before it gets into Europe properly (they have been given 4 weeks until they have the new XServe in stock for example).

    I am really thinking about Option 1, as I would be gutted to wait for an update that may not appear, but if it does I would also have the open of paying £100-200 to get the latest model if it appears.

    Hmmm....

    I think it is possible we could actually see something interesting in regards to the MBP at Macworld - what do people think? What would you do in this situation?
     
  2. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

    Sceneshifter

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    #2
    Well, is up to you, I would wait, but as you said, for us Europeans it's never a matter of a week or so, be prepared to wait up to a month or more even after the announcement to actualy have one in your hands. I had to wait 3 weeks for my MB... painful.
     
  3. karleaglemac macrumors regular

    karleaglemac

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    #3
    Dude, there is no question. At least for me.

    Just chill until Tuesday rolls around. You've waited this long, and another few days won't kill you.
     
  4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

    joegomolski

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    So CA
    #4

    Took words right out of my mouth.
    I have painfully learned not to give into my overwhelming compulsion to do something now. Even when I know I should wait.

    If you buy before Tuesday, and new MBP are released on Tuesday, let us know how you feel about it.
     
  5. gyumilly macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #5
    It's not like you have to wait for a month. If you order now, you might get disappointed, but if you order after next Tue, you'll not get disappointed even if you decide to get an older model. At least, that's how I'm thinking.
     
  6. match311 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    #6
    Well unless the possibility of ultra thin sub-notebook/touch-notebook is enticing to you, you should wait. Otherwise, the refresh that will happen to the regular MBP's will be minimal performance wise.
     
  7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #7
    I like this approach. At least then you would know what you're missing by selecting the current in stock model. The new ones may not even have much to warrant you waiting anyway.

    Cheers,
     

Share This Page