un-installing norton

Discussion in 'macOS' started by charlesbronsen, Dec 2, 2008.

1. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

i know i should have never put it in but i did... now i want it out. I've used appzapper and dragged the norton icon to it from applications and deleted the symantic folder in applications as well. i also ran the norton uninstaller that came with the cd. But its still there. whenever i connect anything to my iMac norton still scans it. Im beginning to think erase and install is my best bet. Any advice would be great.

2. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

yes i did and it told me i have no symatic files to remove?

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Norton is a Hog, no matter what platform it's on. I really HATE this software from my PC days,an absolute bitch to get rid of,(4 times i gave up and wiped the drive). PC OR Mac, I'd run in the other direction. Geeze Louise, if you gut instinct was telling you NO.............................., always go with your gut.
    A really good PC app is AVG FREE. In 13 years of PC use and abuse, I NEVER once had a virus. Surf smart, and wear protection;), as in life:eek:

5. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

yeah i wasn't too fond of norton on any of my windows based pc's. I really wish i didn't install it but im new to mac and was talked into it... looks like i will have to do an erase and install to get rid of the bugger completly... or just leave it as i keep seeing new threads of " Apple says to run anti=virus" :) who knows maybe it will catch a virus instaed of just scanning everything

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I always install Avast! on any PC I get. Virus database updates every day are great.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008