Un-jailbreak massively failed please help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 1ster1x, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 1ster1x macrumors newbie

Ok, so a few months back i was planning to head to the US for a bit and wanted to unlock my phone so i could use an american sim. I went to some dodgy phone shop and he did it for me. Foolishly i thought it would involve something like a micro-config like the old tethering hack. Turns out it was done via jailbreak, which i didn't really want but i got it and lived with it.

So recently i wanted to update to iOS 5b3 and decided i didn't need the jailbreak anymore so i tried installing a new iOS thinking it would just wipe over the custom IPSW. But when it did so itunes came up with 'no sim, a sim must be inserted to activate this iphone'. PWND.

The IPSW i was running before was 4.3.2 on an IPhone 3GS. Neither 4.3.3 or 5b3 have resolved this issue. It doesn't say NO SIM on the iphone though. I can only presume the guy who did the jailbreak was running Windows and installed another programme on the iphone which the previous custom IPSW was utilising to access the SIM and now that i have tried using a different IPSW it no longer recognises there being a SIM.

If there is anyone that would be able to help then i would greatly appreciate beacause all my attempts at official installs and trying to use PWNageTool and Sn0wbreeze via iphone explorer have been in vain. If i have to stick with a jailbreak then fine i just want my phone back so i can use it.

Thank you in advance, and feel free to say i am stupid for not thinking it was going to be jailbroken in the first place. If i had known i would have done myself as it's a piece of piss :)

2. 1ster1x thread starter macrumors newbie

slight correction to the above

I meant ultrasn0w via iPhone explorer not sn0wbreeze.

Do you think this has something to do with basebands? Thanks

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

you broke the unlock by updating the baseband. Is your carrier what your Iphone was locked to originally from? you might talk to your cell carrier see if they will unlock it for you. you can't downgrade baseband also did you also in Pwange did you select (Activate the phone) tutorial here http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14573 try that stuff 1st and answer that before trying anything else.

4. 1ster1x thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it would be the baseband, do you suppose the guy who did it set me up the Ipad baseband? Last night before i read this i went through pwnage and tried the 'don't activate' becaues i'm on my official carrier that i got the phone with. the iPhone now works as in i can download apps etc over wifi but the sim is still not working so i can only assume it's the baseband. Am going to look for the iPad baseband and see if i can add it to the IPSW and see if it makes a difference.

5. 1ster1x thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the baseband and it's at 6.15 which is the IPad one already, seems to be an issue with 4.3.3 not working. I could try downgrading to 4.3.2 and see if that works with ultrasn0w via Cydia. Otherwise it might just be time for a new phone as i think it's now bricked.

6. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Uh oh. The guy did use the 6.15 iPad baseband. Unfortuantely, you cannot restore to stock firmware. You are going to have to wait for an iOS that has a baseband higher than 6.15. In the meantime, you are going to have to make custom firmwares for your iDevice. Have you tried making a custom firmware of 4.3.2/4.3.3 via Pwnagetool...

As well, I can only assume you are on a Mac...

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Create a custom 4.3.3 firmware using Pwnagetool (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (Win). The stock IPSW is available here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

You feed the stock IPSW to whichever program you use and it will spit out the custom one. The program will also put your iPhone in pwned DFU mode which is a must for installing custom firmwares. After this, go to iTunes and hold the shift key (option key on a Mac) and click restore and you'll be presented with a window that allows you to select an IPSW file. Pick your custom one and restore. :)