Un/Official Windows7 on Macbook unibody Thread

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lior.Amsalem, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Lior.Amsalem macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I've already had an old thread about running windows 7 native on Macbook unibody (alloy, nvidia 9400m)
    In this thread I'll try to raise all the problems I'm pacing in order to have one place for all the problems and hopefully solutions so everyone that would like to do the same will have it all arranged.
    So, I'll start:
    The following are the steps you must take.

1. Start up the laptop with the Win7 CD inserted. (By holding down the C key on the keyboard you will allow the system to boot from the Win7 CD)

2. Install Windows 7. Select the write partition to install it on and make sure to partition it during windows installer. Just hit FORMAT after having selected a drive to install it on.

3. Once the install of 7 completes, eject the Win7 CD manually via my computer. Right click on the optical drive and hit eject.

4. Load your SL disk. It will install the Bootcamp drivers even though you aren't using Bootcamp. These are the only drivers you'll need.

5. Enjoy Win7.

Credits to ildondeigiocchi for the nice steps.

The problems I got till now are:
    1. external monitor didn't came out from power safe (when the computer turn off the monitor) - fixed by installing NVIDIA's latest drivers.

2. low volume on the internal speakers - anyone know how to fix it?

3. no AHCI support in windows 7 - for now no fix.

Hope it helps anyone,
    I'll update with any new information,
    Lior Amsalem

2. Lior.Amsalem thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone got the low volume speakers issue fixed?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You are using Boot Camp, just not using Boot Camp Assistant to hold your hand during the partitioning or install.

B

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but isn't the steps that you outlined are already documented by apple?

I found it quite easy and seamless to create a bootcamp partition and load windows. Likewise with the bootcamp drivers, they loaded w/o any issues or headaches. I'm not seeing the need for any sort of official win7 mbp thread - sorry :confused:

5. Lior.Amsalem thread starter macrumors newbie

friends, you miss the point...
    It's not about how to install windows 7 but how to solve all the related problems of using windows 7 on macbook.
    I'll update here with any findings and of course hope to get any help from the people how had such problems and fixed them..

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

He is solely running Windows 7 on his MBP i.e. he has no OSX partition whatsoever on his system. Therefore, he did not use Bootcamp Assistant to install windows as there was no need to do so.

Thanks for the credits. :)

I cannot help you with the low volume of the internal speakers of the system but i could recommend you buying external speakers. For as low as 50 bucks you'll enjoy much better sound quality. Also, this might be fixed when Apple releases Bootcamp 3.1 drivers. As for AHCI, most successful installs have been only on Mac Pros. Nonetheless, you'll see a performance increase over a typical HDD. Your best bet would be to post in this thread. AHCI INSTALL for Windows on a Mac It's worth a try.:D