Un-officially hired!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Illuminated, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

This is probably one of the biggest things that has happened to me. Currently I'm in my last semester at The Restaurant School here in Philly. I'm majoring in Pastry Arts. There was a career fair at my school last week, and the pastry chef from Loews Hotel that had a booth set up. I came into the career fair thinking I wasn't gonna get a job, but to my surprise, the pastry chef liked me. She gave me a 'mini' interview on the spot, and she told me she would call me after she sees my resume. I sent it to her that night, and then the next night (last Friday), she called me. She told me to come in next week (this week now), for a tour, official interview, etc.

Well I had that tour today. She told me that according to her, I'm hired. Also, I met this lady from HR (human resources) at the Hotel Olympics yesterday, and she likes me, and has now seen my resume as well. According to her, I'm also hired.

Now all I have to do is take a drug test, personality test, and a background check, and have another interview with HR...

BTW, I'm going to be doing all the plated desserts for the restaurant, room service desserts, banquets, and pastry production which includes dessert prep, banquet prep, baking the bread for the restaurant, etc...

This is a huge for me, and can be the opportunity of a life time.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Thanks!

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sounds like a very solid start ... give it 110% and things should work out really well.

hard work is usually rewarded ... Congrats.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Congratulations! Hopefully you'll make the right choice as in which one to choose.

7. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Sounds like it was a piece of cake to me!

I'm here all night :D Congratulations!

8. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Congrats!

Your job impresses me because there is no way I could become a pastry chef as I would probably just eat all of it before it made it out of the room. I give myself a hard limit of one small chocolate candy per day which is easy enough when the bag is out of sight in the fridge. But if I had all this stuff in front of me looking good I'm pretty sure it would be too hard to resist and next thing you know I don't fit through the door. You must have amazing self-restraint. :)

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Until you have it in writing, words mean JACK. I've been burned in the past. Sounds like you'll probably get the job but don't get your hopes too high.

Congrats if you do get it though!

10. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Thank god , I thought this was another, "I got hired at the Apple store!" threads.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So true. Until you start, don't get excited. My brother was told he was hired pending a background check and had the offer rescinded because of a DWAI 3 years ago. He was quite bummed

Good thing he didn't quit his current job at the time with this "supposed" shoe in of being accepted

12. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Congrats on the job. Always nice to hear when someone gets hired for a job doing what they love.

14. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

HR are paid to be friendly. You're not hired until you've signed a work contract. Don't get your hopes up just yet. Clearly the hiring process is not finished for you.

If you don't get it, don't worry - you've had some excellent and valuable experience of the hiring process, and you went to a good restaurant school. With some more hard work you'll get a job somewhere.

15. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

LOL!

But seriously, congratulations! It gives hope to starving college students like myself. There is a career outside of countless hours of required credits!

16. Malsi macrumors regular

Congratulations on the job! I hope everything works out for you. Now where is the celebratory strawberry cheesecake and apple turnovers?:p

17. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1 :D

Congratulations OP!

18. Scippy macrumors regular

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Irony, I loves it. :D