Un-partition a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I'mAMac, May 16, 2010.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I've been able to find ways to reallocate space on my hard drive but what if i want to take windows completely off and restore my hard drive to purely OS X? Is there a way to do that also?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You have to, first, delete the Windows NTFS partition in Disk Utility, THEN resize. You can't immediately resize because MacOS X does not have built-in NTFS support.

The easiest way is to select the Windows partition, and partition it to MacOS X Journaled or really anything in the list. You can then highlight the partition, hit Backspace, and drag your OS X partition to fill the unused space.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Or you can run Boot Camp Assistant again and ask it to restore your drive to one large partition.

B

4. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Boot camp assistant won't run if the hard drive is already partitioned. :(

One more thing: I have an external HD which is linked to my XP partition. If I use that same hard drive (with the xp programs, games, etc.) with Windows 7 will it work? Or do I need to use winclone:confused:

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The kernels of Windows 7 and XP are different. Depending on which confusing myriad of Windows 7 versions you've purchased, it may have XP mode.

I know nothing of what I just said, that's the extent of my knowledge of Windon't.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It will if the partition was created with BCA or is compatible with the way it does it. You are correct that if you deviate at all from the BCA script it won't run.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

See page 14.

Your external will work fine, but the programs etc. will have to be reinstalled. Google XP Windows 7 upgrade custom install.

B

7. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

OK lotta installing in my future:p thanks for all the help:apple: