(un)Trusted Wireless

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by statuswoe, Jan 5, 2010.

1. statuswoe macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm looking for a way to be able to mark certain wireless connections as trusted.

I'd like to be in location A and see an open wireless node and be able to add it and do something simple like check a wiki article or look at google maps. It seems like when I connect to a new network however, it checks my email, and allows apps like facebook, twitter, etc... to also update, sending sensitive info over an untrusted network.

Anyone know a way to identify my home and office wifi as trusted and restrict application access based on this?

Thanks,
    Brent

2. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

As far as I know, there's no way of restricting specific wifi networks with what they can be used for. However, I think that if you change your email to check for emails manually, unless you open the mail app it should not connect to the wifi. I think it should be the same with facebook too, if you don't open it it shouldn't connect. Hope that can help.

3. statuswoe thread starter macrumors newbie

That's unfortunate, but thanks for the info, I was holding out hope there would be a hidden setting.