Unable to access AHT on MacBook Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Big Ron, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Hi

I have just purchased a late 2009 White MacBook unibody model no:A1342.
    It all seems very good and I don't think it has any "hidden problems" but as an additional precaution I thought I would run the Apple Hardware Test however whenever I try to initiate it, by pressing "D" during startup nothing happens, it just boots as normal:confused:

What am I doing wrong?, apple suggests I meet need an EFI BootROM update to support this feature but when I check on their support page my MacBook doesnt seems to be listed:confused:

Any help would be very much appreciated

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks for the speedy reply Bruno09 that would explain a lot, whilst I have your attention:

Would it be safe to presume that the other startup options will still work OK? I have Mavericks installed on a USB drive and want to do a fresh install when I upgrade the HDD to a SSD?

I do have the original Snow Leopard grey DVD, would it also be safe to presume than my current installation of Mavericks will not complain that I am running an application that originally shipped with SL?

Thanks for your patience, although I am not a Mac virgin, this is my first MacBook and I need it to be "just so"

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

1. you can test your USB install drive right now : restart and hold down the option key, select the USB drive.
    You can then quit before installing (/restart).

2. you will have no problem running the AHT from the DVD.

Installing a SSD is very easy on this model, I have done it 3 times in the last 6 months.

After putting the SSD in the Mac, you will need to format it (Mac OS extended journaled, GUID partition table).
    (you might also put the SSD in an external enclosure, install Mavericks on it, then swap the HD and the SSD).

How much RAM do you have ?
    4 is a minimum, 2 is not sufficient for Mavericks.

5. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks for that advice Bruno09, ill try that tonight.

I have 8Gbyte of RAM, Mavericks runs very well on this machine, I just want the additional startup/app load speeds etc that a SSD will give me.

I am thinking of a Samsung 840 EVO 250 GByte SSD, have you had experience of fitting this? They are resonably priced in the UK - approx £90

If not could you suggets an alternative?

Thanks in advance

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes, Mavericks runs very well on this machine, with 4 GB of RAM or more.

Samsung SSD's are fine, as are Crucial ones.
    (I personally have no experience with the Samsungs).

The three I have installed in Late 2009 and Mid-2010 White Unibody Macbooks are Crucial M500 240 GB, bought from Crucial website.

In my mid 2011 13" MBP I have a Crucial M500 480 GB : great...

7. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

8. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Update to original post.

I used the aplications disc and sucessfully run the AHT - Thankfully no problems were apparent.:)

I consider this thread close and thanks again to all who took the time to answer
    :)

9. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Big Ron,
    I suggest that if and when you install the SSD, look into aftermarket SSD install on Macs. Google that. There are a few things to do when you install an aftermarket SSD that Apple builds into the OS software. When installing aftermarket SSD, it won't perform the same way as if it were installed in the factory.

TRIM is a must.
    Additional options such as hard disk sleep disable, etc are all personal options. I suggest reading into them and deciding. Don't spend a bunch of money on SSD and then not utilize it fully or shorten its life span.

10. brdeveloper, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014

brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Is it really a must these days? How can I compare how my SSD performs with and without TRIM? I don't know if it's worth enabling a thing that adds some processing overhead if the SSD does garbage collection by its own...

EDIT -- looks like this test from toms hardware finds benefits from TRIM, however only slightly in Crucial M500, but considerable on a 840 EVO:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-msata-review,3716-10.html

11. Big Ron, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

brdeveloper & DmbShn41

Thanks for the update, I have now purched a Samsung EVO 840 250Gbyte SSD

I have looked around as suggested and apart rtom "Trim Enabler" turning off time machine background action, power nap updates and hard disk sleep disable, I cant find anything else that I should do...Am I missing something

From DmbShn41's post I have thought that I'd be opening a Treminal Window and envoking some long lost command - I'm confused - what else should I do?

My SSD is due to arrive tommorrow and I don't want to mess things up:eek:

Apart from the various, and often contradictionay, advice on the Apple support forums, has anyone a definative list of post install options that I should be carrying out?

Tak