iPhone unable to add or delete my own music since 8.4.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by salrip, Aug 18, 2015.

1. salrip macrumors newbie

I update yesterday to 8.4.1 and now I can't add my songs from my library to iphone 5c, or remove them via itunes. I turned off Icloud library and apple music and have tried to reset the phone several times. One time it looked like it would work again, I could drag a song to the iphone, but when I tried to drag several more it didn't work. And the song I dragged is just greyed with a dotted circle and isn't showing upp on the phone so it didn't really work

It has worked in 8.4 with apple music on, I didn't change any settings after updating. Sync music is off.

Nothing happens when I drag songs over the iphone, no blue outline and number of songs dragged. As you can see it's just grey. On the picture I've tried to drag a song and the mouse is over the first playlist. I should be able to add a song like that, as I always have, right?

I have no idea what to do. I did restore the phone from a backup made yesterday,but still the problem persists. I can't find any answer on google. I have no idea what I can try more than completely wipe the phone and start from scratch.

Skärmavbild 2015-08-18 kl. 19.20.57.png

2. New York Grill macrumors newbie

Sounds like you changed app stores which somehow disables apple music from downloading music. I did that and had to delete all my apple music downloads and start again

3. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that the music database file(s) on your phone have gotten corrupted. The same thing happened to my wife's phone after I upgraded her to 8.4.1. Your best bet (IMHO) is to delete all of the music from the phone and start over from scratch. Of course this method assumes that you have all of your music backed up to the iTunes library on your computer. If so, then you may want to try what worked for me...

You need make sure that all songs are deleted from the phone from BOTH perspectives. I first deleted everything from the phone itself by going to Settings->General->Usage->Manage Storage->Music and left swiping near the top where it says "All Songs". Once my phone was convinced it was empty, I attached it to the computer. iTunes still had a short list of songs listed as being on the device, so I highlighted all of those and hit the delete button. At that point, I was convinced that both databases were empty, and started dragging songs back onto to the phone. Everything worked fine from that point on.

I'm not sure how or why the database gets corrupted (buggy code somewhere), but it does. And then you'll have nothing but headaches until you fix it. I think Apple needs to add a "Fix iPhone Music Database" button somewhere...

4. salrip thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds probable. I deleted the songs in manage storage as you said, and no music shows up in the app but when I connect it to itnues all the songs still show like they are still on the phone, and I can't find a way to delete them. Hitting backspace does nothing and right-clicking shows no alternative to delete songs.

I guess I should just erase everything and start anew maybe as sometimes when I call it starts to repeat a 0,3 second snippet of the conversation when I talk to somebody, like a loop, and it happens again and again until I restart the phone.

5. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Sounds like you may need to restore the phone. Did you try turning the "manually manage music/video" switch on/off in iTunes?

6. salrip thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup I did. Tried to restore and used a backup from yesterday, but the problem were the same so I did a full restore as a new iphone and now it works. Gah!

7. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Welcome to the iOS 8 music nightmare!! I was forced to restore my phone as new shortly after I got my iPhone 6. iOS 8.4 broke it again, but I was able to fix it by deleting some old voice memos. My wife's phone somehow survived until 8.4.1 (and was fixed using the method I described ealier). My son takes care of his own phone now, but he says his artwork is all munged up in iOS 8. It really shouldn't be this hard...

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Another method is using iexplorer to delete iTunes library on your device, and set it up in iTunes "as a new phone", which in fact is not.

I had my 50GB songs all gone to "others". Deleting in iTunes didn't even work. iTunes was unable to help me out. I always ended up deleting everything I had on my phone and restart syncing.