Unable to add (secondary) gmail account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iThibault, Aug 10, 2016.

1. iThibault macrumors newbie

iThibault

Hi guys,

I currently have one Google account set up on my iPhone.
    I would now like to add a second one, but having some troubles doing so.

So I go to my account in the iOS settings and add a new Google account. I follow the steps (entering e-mail and password) and I get this:

[​IMG]

So far so good, but then it automatically redirects me to this:

[​IMG]

I've tried adding the account multiple times, but I'm getting the same result every time. I've also tried restarting my iPhone, but that didn't help as well.

I then removed my original gmail account from my iPhone and tried to add my second one. I still couldn't add it. So that's interesting. It seems that I just can't add this regular Google account to my iPhone.

Anything else I could try?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Choose "Anders" and manually enter some information like SMTP server and IMAP server. See if it is possible to add your secondary Gmail account. Auto configuration sometimes don't work well.

3. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

That didn't help sadly. I tried a few more things:
    • Setting up the Google account manually with my normal password
    • Going to 'Connected apps' in my Google account and removing iOS
    • Stting up the Google account manually with an app specific password (I'm using two step verification and that could cause some problems).
    Neither of these worked though. In every case, I got the error that my username and password for imap@gmail.com was incorrect.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I don't have 2 step verification on all my Google accounts and don't see any issue on setting up.
    I guess official Gmail app allows you to add all your Google accounts but adding one more app on iPhone to manage email is not a really good thing for some users.

5. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

I actually don't really need it for mails. I just need the google calendar for my Fantastical app.
    Ah well, gonna lose my frustration with some games and then just keep on trying, I guess :p

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

W
    Well, you can add multiple calendars under a single account. Differentiate them with colors.
    Anyway, this is one reason I don't want to use 2FA or 2SV or something like this. Compatibility is poor and sometimes the frustration is greater than benefits it can bring.

7. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

Hmm I just disabled 2FA on my Google account and try to set it up again. Still didn't work... tried both manually and via New Account > Google.
    Enabled 2FA again, tried again, still no success.

God, this stuff is a train wreck.

I might just share my calendar of my secondary account with my primary account, that would fix it. Wouldn't be completely how I wanted it, but setting up Google accounts is also not really how I wanted to spend my day.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Especially when setting up process does not work as it should be.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Try downloading the Gmail or Google Calendar apps and see if you encounter the same problems. If so, the issue might be on Google's end. If not, it's an iOS but must likely.

10. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

I can set up both of my Google account without any issue with the Google Calendar app.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

So you've got an iOS bug then. I wish I could help and give you a workaround, but I'm not that tech-savvy. I hope someone else who is can chime in and help you out. Best of luck.

12. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

I've shared the calendar of my second account and gave my first account full control. Took me about 1 minute and everything's alright now :)

Shame I couldn't add the second account completely though and had to come up with a workaround. Anyway, many thanks for the effort, guys! Appreciate it :)