Unable to backup via TimeMachine - "The backup disk image .. already in use"

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by idyll, Feb 21, 2017.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

Ever since upgrading to Sierra, I keep receiving the following notification from TimeMachine:
    "Backup has failed.
    The backup disk image "/Volumes/Data/Name.sparsebundle" is already in use."

I am trying to backup to a WD MyCloud NAS.

I have tried the following:
    • Restart computer and NAS
    • Remove and re-add NAS drive to TimeMachine
    • Delete previous TimeMachine backup from NAS and start a new one
    Removing and then adding the NAS drive back to TimeMachine fixes the problem for a few hours, but then the notification comes up again. Any advice?

2. heiber macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    I had the same problem. Restarting the computer solved my problem. I suspect, but not based on any evidence, Crashplan created a conflict. Prior to this starting I was browsing my share with Crashplan to set files to backup.

3. machrism macrumors newbie

Have exactly the same issue. Rebooting of either Mac of Nas helps - but problem reappears shortly after.
    Anybody with a solution?

4. sawguy macrumors newbie

sawguy

I experienced this problem with my Macs backing up to a Synology NAS. I tried all those suggestions too and the problem would just return in a few days.

I was using SMB to connect to the Synology (DiskStation Manager 6.1) and switching back to AFP solved the problem. I know that AFP is deprecated, so going forward this solution may not be feasible but it works good for now.

5. QuotesUK macrumors newbie

QuotesUK

I have the same problem with Time Machine running on Sierra and WD Cloud NAS

The problem occurs when the iMac is left overnight and goes into sleep mode as per energy saver

I am unable to remount the volume manually. A restart of the Mac is my only known solution.

6. jagooch macrumors regular

jagooch

I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro. I did recently move my WiFi AP to another location , but that shouldn't be a problem.

I get the "backup file in use" ( paraphrase ) message and the backup fails. Rebooting my Macbook Pro fixed it.