unable to boot [back] to Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by markusm, Mar 23, 2008.

1. markusm macrumors newbie

I have been using Boot Camp with Win XP x64 since November successfully on my mac pro.

Recently I was doing continuous work in an application in Windows, so I set boot camp to boot up using the Windows partition (so I wouldn't need to hit the option key all the time). No problems.

When I wanted to switch back to OS X I suddenly couldn't access the boot menu (using the option key), nor boot from CD/DVD ("c"). I am stuck in Windows.

Has anyone else had this?
    Has anyone solved this or something similar?

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Try changing the default OS in the boot camp control panel.

3. markusm thread starter macrumors newbie

I can only access the start up disk control panel on the Windows side, and it only shows me Windows XP as the option.

Is there an easy way to add the OS X partition to the startup control panel.

Based on the partion names I see in the boot.ini file, I figure I can probably change my boot.ini to show the OS X partition as part of the startup control panel. Has anyone done that manually?

4. markusm thread starter macrumors newbie

Never mind. My bad. The apple keyboard needs to be connected directly to the workstation's USB port (not through the Apple Cinema Screen USB hub) for the "option" key to "take effect" when I start up the workstation. Interesting that this suddenly started happening without anything changing. Oh well.
    Sorry for taking up the bandwidth.

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Have a look at BootPicker (see my sig), this lets you choose which OS you want to boot into - it has a very cool interface and is very easy to use.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What's with the blog spam? Just link directly to it - http://www.bombich.com/software/bootpicker.html :rolleyes:

While BootPicker is nice, it requires you to boot into OS X first to select Windows, which doesn't seem very efficient. It would be great if they figured out how to replace the boot loader with this.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Thanks for that - link added, I will keep the blog "spam" as well, just in case.