Unable to boot from DVD (OS X 10.6)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sidewinder007, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sidewinder007, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

sidewinder007 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a macbook pro 13 inch, 2010 model. When I try restarting my macbook pro with the OS X 10.6 installation disc, I get a spinner icon for about a few minutes, and then I get a shutdown message.

I have no idea, what to do about this. The reason I need to boot from disk is because when I run the disk utility from within the desktop, I get quite few error messages when I run the verify disk check on the hard drive, and it asks me to boot from the installation disc and run the disk utility from there.

The disc reads fine within the desktop, not really sure why I can't boot from it. Any ideas?

EDIT: I've just tried the installation disk labelled: '13-inch macbook pro Mac OS X install dvd' which came with the laptop, but it is not booting from that either.

2. chris.mccreery macrumors newbie

Were you able to resolve this problem? I have a similar issue. The disc that came with my MacBook Pro says 10.6 OS X when I try to boot from that to format my computer I get the same error as you. However I recently got a newer model and the disc that came with that says 10.6.7 and when I insert that in my older Mac it boots up fine. So I'm not sure if it's hardware or software related. I was told on the Apple Communities that it was a hardware issue but now i'm not sure.

Thanks

3. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Also sometimes even if the disk doesn't look scratched, it is, and is useless once this happens. I've had the same problem before and once I tried a different disk it worked fine. If you can get your hands on a USB stick with the OS on it, those work well too and are sometimes harder to damage.