Unable to boot from SL DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TemeculaMac, Oct 20, 2009.

1. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I'm having an odd problem that I can't figure out. I have a fairly new iMac (the aluminum one). It originally had Tiger on it, then Leopard came out 1 week later. I upgraded to Leopard once it came out. I then purchased the Snow Leopard upgrade, and upgraded my iMac to SL.

I've been running SL great on it for several weeks now (since SL was released). I haven't had any issues, except with Time Machine. I wanted to do a verify/repair disk on the HD, so I attempted to boot my iMac from DVD.

It did not boot automatically to DVD, so I attempted a "C" during startup to boot from my DVD. After about 5-10 mins of waiting, it dropped me into "Safe Boot". I can not seem to boot it from the DVD.

I rebooted my iMac, and double clicked the install icon from the DVD. It's giving me the following error:

"Mac OS X 10.6 cannot be installed on this machine"

It's claiming that I need v10.5 or higher to install. I'm currently at 10.6.1, so I'm not sure what it's complaining about.

Has anyone had or seen this issue before? All I'm trying to do, is perform a repair disk on my HD...but I can't even boot from my DVD anymore.

Thanks,
    Gary

2. SHankara macrumors member

You still have your leopard disc right?Try using that disc.

3. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Yes...I should have my Leopard disk. I just need to find it :) I'll give that a try...

Thanks,
    Gary

4. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Try holding down option and selecting the DVD. See if the drive is reading it.