Unable to boot iPad (tethered)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bypx, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Bypx macrumors newbie

I've successfully jailbroken my iPad 4.3.1 with pwnagetool (cydia is installed) but I can't boot with tetheredboot. Here is the log:

bash-3.2# /Users/bypx/Desktop/tetheredboot/tetheredboot /Users/bypx/Desktop/tetheredboot/iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu /Users/bypx/Desktop/tetheredboot/kernelcache.release.k48

Checking if device is compatible with this jailbreak
    Checking the device type
    Identified device as iPad1,1
    Preparing to upload limera1n exploit
    Resetting device counters
    Sending chunk headers
    Sending exploit payload
    Sending fake data
    libusb:error [darwin_transfer_status] transfer error: timed out
    Exploit sent
    Reconnecting to device
    Waiting 2 seconds for the device to pop up...
    opening device 05ac:1227...

And then stuck here....
    Any hint?

2. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

i actually had the exact same issue, but mine went so far as to finish say "exiting libpois0n" and boot up, but cydia was still crashing as if it hadn't worked. i tried redoing the restore with pwnage, downgrading to 4.3 and pwning that. nothign would boot properly. i'm now im 4.3.1 stock and hating it. the gestures are nice though, haha.

3. Bypx thread starter macrumors newbie

problem solved. Don't do that as superuser! Just open terminal:

MacBook-Pro:~ bypx$ /Users/bypx/Desktop/tetheredboot/tetheredboot -i /Users/bypx/Desktop/tetheredboot/iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu -k /Users/bypx/Desktop/tetheredboot/kernelcache.release.k48

4. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

i'm gonna have to give this a shot when i get home again. dammit, of course i didn't bring it with me.

i hope it works!

5. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I keep getting

Code:
    -bash: /Users/robert/Desktop/tetheredboot/kernelcache.release.n90: Permission denied

-bash: /Users/robert/Desktop/tetheredboot/iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu: Permission denied

iPhone 4, of course, but still.. This is a little annoying, any ideas?

6. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Mine's still not working. It runs through all the code, looks like it's gonna work.. the screen turns white and just hangs there. I tried every combination of sudo and not and still nothing.

7. goodweather macrumors newbie

thanks! that worked for me too!

8. Bypx thread starter macrumors newbie

leave the device with the white screen for ~1 minute. IT will boot

9. lightningblade macrumors newbie

Hey when the screen turns white then just wait it out because that is what I did and I am able to use cydia. BTW this is the output of my command:

patrick-macbook-pro:tetheredboot pfronebe$ /Users/pfronebe/Desktop/iPad\ Jailbreak/4.3.1/tetheredboot/tetheredboot -i iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k48
    Initializing libpois0n
    No matching processes belonging to you were found
    Waiting for device to enter DFU mode
    Found device in DFU mode
    Checking if device is compatible with this jailbreak
    Checking the device type
    Identified device as iPad1,1
    Preparing to upload limera1n exploit
    Resetting device counters
    Sending chunk headers
    Sending exploit payload
    Sending fake data
    Exploit sent
    Reconnecting to device
    Waiting 2 seconds for the device to pop up...
    Uploading iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu to device
    [==================================================] 100.0%
    libusb:error [darwin_reset_device] ResetDevice: device not responding
    libusb:error [darwin_close] USBDeviceClose: no connection to an IOService
    Waiting 10 seconds for the device to pop up...
    opening device 05ac:1281...
    Setting to configuration 1
    Setting to interface 0:0
    Uploading kernelcache.release.k48 to device
    [==================================================] 100.0%
    Exiting libpois0n
    patrick-macbook-pro:tetheredboot pfronebe$

Screen then turns white, then I waited it out bout 30 seconds maybe longer (my conception of time is kinda bad) after that I open cydia and went to town
    hope this helps

wait it boots in safe mood darn it

10. Szada macrumors newbie

I do the same steps, and it boots, but if i try to lunch Cydia, it quits.. so i can't tethered boot it... My output is the same what lightningblade has, still not working :confused:

11. fogcitynative, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

fogcitynative macrumors newbie

It worked for me . . .

Wait out the white screen, ignore the text in terminal, blah blah blah . . .

I KNOW WE NEED TO BE GRATEFUL TO THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE THESE EXPLOITS BUT HAVING TO WADE THROUGH AT LEAST TWENTY DIFFERENT GOOGLE SEARCHES, TOO MANY KNOW NOTHING WEB PAGES TRYING TO HELP BUT BEING IN FACT WRONG, EVEN MORE WEB PAGES, TUTORIALS AND VIDEOS SHOW JUST HOW EASY IT IS TO DO ON AN IPHONE 4 BLAH BLAH BLAH . . .

Until 5 hours later, and maybe 50 different attempts, I found the answer HERE! The correct answer. I am now running jailbroken 4.3.1 on an iPad 1.

Why can't the authors of the jailbreak be as clear as was the person who FINALLY explained how to do it here!!!

Norm:D

PS: The first time you launch Cydia it will want to install essential upgrades, which after you finish, will leave Cydia not working. So you must run the whole tethered boot thing again . . .

12. Szada macrumors newbie

Same here!

PS: The first time you launch Cydia it will want to install essential upgrades, which after you finish, will leave Cydia not working. So you must run the whole tethered boot thing again . . .

THanks!! i don't have known this! Thanks a lot!
    best forum ever! :D

13. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

I let it sit on the white screen for about 10 minutes before i gave up. Nothing's working. Ah well. I guess I'll just wait for the untether to come out.

14. Timisone macrumors member

Ipad 1 or 2?

15. fmlisboajr macrumors newbie

16. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

"I KNOW WE NEED TO BE GRATEFUL TO THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE THESE EXPLOITS BUT HAVING TO WADE THROUGH AT LEAST TWENTY DIFFERENT GOOGLE SEARCHES, TOO MANY KNOW NOTHING WEB PAGES TRYING TO HELP BUT BEING IN FACT WRONG, EVEN MORE WEB PAGES, TUTORIALS AND VIDEOS SHOW JUST HOW EASY IT IS TO DO ON AN IPHONE 4 BLAH BLAH BLAH . . ."

Or you could.... wait..... until there is a stable, easy, untethered jailbreak so you won't have to look up 20 Google searches to figure out what's wrong. Since you chose to be on the leading (cutting) edge, you get to have the "fun" of testing/figuring out what to do to make things work (or not). It's not really fair to "blame" the devs who created this JB. You made a choice to go out there on your own. Enjoy the ride, instead of complaining about it. :)