Unable to boot mac after mavericks upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Neetsrn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Neetsrn, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

Neetsrn macrumors newbie

Hi all

Kindly help me in resolving this issue. I downloaded maverick update from app store and after its installation my mac is not booting.

Since mine is a dual OS I have been working using my second boot that is windows.

When I boot with the alt option i can now find there is one more drive seen which is recovery 10.9.2.

How can I restore my previous version of mac(snow leopard) or how to back up my date . This is very critical for me kindly help.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

do you not have a backup of the old os???

You should never ever ever upgrade the OS without first making a backup.

3. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

While true, saying that didn't help the poor guy.

Two things:
    1) Try HFS Explorer: http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html It will allow you to read (not write) HFS formatted drives and you can see if you can grab your data off the drive while in your Windows OS. You can also purchase Paragon's HFS for Windows file driver which will allow you to read and write Mac HFS drives. The Paragon driver is great, but HFS Explorer is free, so see if it'll do what you need (but last update was in 2008, so there may be some bugs that have popped up since then).

2) Do you have a spare external hard drive that you can install OS X onto? If so, then you can boot into the external HD, and then run Disk Utility and see if you can find your Macintosh HD. If so, then you have a chance at fixing it and getting access to your data.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Just because it doesn't get him out of the situation he put himself in does not mean that it won't help him. The education that was shared may help him in the future.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I would think that the experience alone was enough of an education. There's no need to rub it in.

The OP mentioned he has a recovery partition.

Hold down the option key at startup and boot to that. Then run Disk Utility from there to see what's going on.