Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

destron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Whenever I turn on my computer, I see a flashing folder icon, occasionally interspaced with a globe icon. I read elsewhere that this lasts for several minutes, but it can go on for an hour without pause. I tried booting up from my install disc, but couldn't get the computer to acknowledge it.

I was able to start installing with a 10.5 upgrade disc, but was unable to complete it because the computer did not already have 10.4 or later on the HD (for the record, I was on 10.5.8 before it crashed). I tried restarting it from the Network, but that didn't seem to help either.

I can't even access my HD through a firewire cable; the HD simply won't show up on the host computer's screen. I'm pretty sure this means that my HD is hosed, but I thought I'd ask to make sure. Anything that I might be able to do to fix this?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Whenever I turn on my computer, I see a flashing folder icon, occasionally interspaced with a globe icon. I read elsewhere that this lasts for several minutes, but it can go on for an hour without pause. I tried booting up from my install disc, but couldn't get the computer to acknowledge it.

I was able to start installing with a 10.5 upgrade disc, but was unable to complete it because the computer did not already have 10.4 or later on the HD (for the record, I was on 10.5.8 before it crashed). I tried restarting it from the Network, but that didn't seem to help either.

I can't even access my HD through a firewire cable; the HD simply won't show up on the host computer's screen. I'm pretty sure this means that my HD is hosed, but I thought I'd ask to make sure. Anything that I might be able to do to fix this?

Your hard drive is toast. A trick that may/may not work is to first, take out the hard drive, then putting it into a ziploc bag and place it into the freezer for a few hours, allowing it to get cold. It may or may not work, and it may even make your situation worse, so do this at your own discretion.

destron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks. Unfortunately, nothing seemed to work. The best I could do was bring up the disc utility, but it was unable to repair the disc. I've already decided to get a new computer at this point (mine was pretty old), so I went ahead and deleted the disc from there. Then I'll either trash the computer, or get a new HD and see if I can sell it. I've backed up the really important stuff already.

I used the 35-pass erase method for extra security, which I'm informed can take a very long time. I started erasing around 20 minutes ago, and it's still preparing to securely delete data. I'm figuring that this is normal, but I'd like a bit of confirmation. Thanks again.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks. Unfortunately, nothing seemed to work. The best I could do was bring up the disc utility, but it was unable to repair the disc. I've already decided to get a new computer at this point (mine was pretty old), so I went ahead and deleted the disc from there. Then I'll either trash the computer, or get a new HD and see if I can sell it. I've backed up the really important stuff already.

I used the 35-pass erase method for extra security, which I'm informed can take a very long time. I started erasing around 20 minutes ago, and it's still preparing to securely delete data. I'm figuring that this is normal, but I'd like a bit of confirmation. Thanks again.

35-pass erase will take days. I wouldn't dump that machine, just buy new HD for 50 bucks and it's back

destron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
35-pass erase will take days. I wouldn't dump that machine, just buy new HD for 50 bucks and it's back

My computer's pretty old, and I'd like to get one of the new iMacs to bring things up to speed.

destron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
I just read that the 35-pass erase can take a week to complete! Since I'm just trying to protect credit card data, I'm guessing that a 7-pass is sufficient?

EDIT: It's also showing me a "Skip" option as it prepares to securely remove data. Can I skip the preparation phase? Or would that cause problems? Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I just read that the 35-pass erase can take a week to complete! Since I'm just trying to protect credit card data, I'm guessing that a 7-pass is sufficient?

EDIT: It's also showing me a "Skip" option as it prepares to securely remove data. Can I skip the preparation phase? Or would that cause problems? Thanks.

Yeah, 7-pass is enough but let it do the preparation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.