Unable to Bring Up System from Install Disk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robnelli, Jun 23, 2008.

1. robnelli macrumors newbie

My son came home from college with this old IBook G4 with OS X that he received as a "throwing away" gift. We don't have the prior owner's userid or password or OS disks. So I picked up a set of 10.3.5 disks off of ebay. I have 3 disks. 10.3.5 Install and Restore Disks 1 & 2 and 10.3.5-10.3.9 Upgrade Disk. All for the iBook G4. When I attempt to boot while holding the C key as instructed, the system begins with the grey screen displaying the Apple logo and the spinning ("working") icon. The DVD drive spins and hums as if being read. After several minutes the screen goes black and a frozen arrow cursor is displayed. This is as far as it gets. The cursor eventually goes away as in a screen saver mode. When I hit a key, the cursor returns to the screen but is still frozen and the iBook continues to be in a state of comatose. I'm used to PCs so am not familiar with the boot or setup processes on a Mac. I also tried starting the machine holding down the option key with the install disk inserted. I get a screen with a Macintosh HD and Mac OS X Install Disk 1 icons along with a circular arrow and straight arrow icons. I was told I would see an AHT option. There was no AHT option to select. Selecting the HD and the arrow takes me to the login screen. Selecting the OS Install and the arrow takes me to the frozen screen again. Any suggestions on how to pursue re-installing the OS or resetting the password?

2. chscag macrumors 65816

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yeah.... that doesn't sound like a stolen computer at all.