Unable to burn cdr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migdaddy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. migdaddy macrumors 6502

I am unable to burn music to a CDR. I have tried 2 different bands (Memorex and Sony) and my 1st Gen MacBook Pro just spits the Sony CDs out after reading it for about 15 seconds. I've never had an issue burning CDs before with this laptop. I have tried using different burning software instead of iTunes, and again, my laptop just spits the cd out. Please help thank you.

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

The lens might be dirty. Try cleaning it with a CD/DVD cleaning disc. It could also be the lens/laser is going bad. In that case, you would need to get the drive replaced.

3. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I was afraid of those issues, but I just put in a DVD with a movie on it, and my laptop read and played it without an issue. Are they different lasers that read a DVD with a movie on it and one that reads and burns a blank disc?

4. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, there's two separate lasers, one for CDs and one for DVDs.

5. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well damn, this sucks.

6. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Would using a CD RW make a difference? Or if it not read a CD R, it won't read a CD RW?

7. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Even burners that use the 'same' laser (inside the same single unit), burning is a much more intense and sensitive task than reading. Perhaps it can read through the dust, but not burn through it.

You can get those CD cleaning discs (with little tiny brushes on them) for like $10. That'll clean the laser, no big deal!

Alternatively, if that doesn't work, do you have a desktop PC with a CD burner that you don't use anymore, or another unused laptop CD burner? The reason I ask is you can get enclosures (for either desktop sized burners OR laptop sized burners) for peanuts, like $15 on NewEgg.com. It's not ideal, but it's a cheap alternative to replacing your internal superdrive. Then you have a USB burner!

-John