Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msaz87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Hey All,

I've been trying to burn a DVD for the past two days and have been unsuccessful in everything I've tried.

My MBP's vitals:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OSX 10.5.8

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-867:

Firmware Revision: HA13
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

I've tried the following techniques to burn the DVD, all of which fail:

- I created a .cdr file from the original DVD (not DRM protected) and then tried to burn it via disk utility ... the error read "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"

- Created a .m4v file of the original DVD, loaded it into iDVD and tried to burn ... the error comes during the "Multiplexing and burning" stage, specficially "Writing lead-in" -- the DVD is spit out before it completes and no error is given

- Tried to use Nero on a VMWare Fusion instance on WinXP ... the burn doesn't get beyond 5 percent and unfortunately I don't recall the error message

As far as what media I'm using...

I have tried Memorex DVD+R (which I realized later this burner would not write to) and also Maxell DVD-R (which the above errors are applicable to)

Finally... I have successfully burned a DVD with this MBP before, probably a year or two ago via iDVD -- same process I tried with this one. The MBP itself is about 3 years old.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

EDIT: Just to note, the drive works fine for viewing DVDs and also for reading and writing CDs

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
Hey All,

I've been trying to burn a DVD for the past two days and have been unsuccessful in everything I've tried.

My MBP's vitals:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OSX 10.5.8

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-867:

Firmware Revision: HA13
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

I've tried the following techniques to burn the DVD, all of which fail:

- I created a .cdr file from the original DVD (not DRM protected) and then tried to burn it via disk utility ... the error read "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"

- Created a .m4v file of the original DVD, loaded it into iDVD and tried to burn ... the error comes during the "Multiplexing and burning" stage, specficially "Writing lead-in" -- the DVD is spit out before it completes and no error is given

- Tried to use Nero on a VMWare Fusion instance on WinXP ... the burn doesn't get beyond 5 percent and unfortunately I don't recall the error message

As far as what media I'm using...

I have tried Memorex DVD+R (which I realized later this burner would not write to) and also Maxell DVD-R (which the above errors are applicable to)

Finally... I have successfully burned a DVD with this MBP before, probably a year or two ago via iDVD -- same process I tried with this one. The MBP itself is about 3 years old.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

I had the exact same "Unable to power the laser" message. It's basically failed and the only option was a replacement disc drive (In my case anyway) sorry :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.