Unable to burn dvds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watabou, May 28, 2009.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm trying to burn an iso to a dvd. It's a Windows 7 RC downloaded from Microsoft.

But everytime I try to do this, it fails within 5 seconds and it tells something about laser not matching speed. I have tried different DVDs and even borrowed one of my friends but all with the same result.

This is so messed up because first, my isight camera dies and now this. And guess what? Its just one month after the warranty expired!

Edit: Attached the window that gives me the error:

Attached Files:

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

It's either poor quality media or a failing drive.

Probably a cobination of both though.

I recommend you try some TAIYO YUDEN disks and if the burn still fails its definatly the drive.

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

So if it is a failing drive, I have to pay for repair? Because I didn't buy Applecare on my mac and the one year has been up since last month.

4. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Yes unless whoever you deal with feels very generous.

Thems the chances you take when you don't get the warranty. I never do but I know I am capable of fixing most things myself. You can always change the drive yourself, they are pretty cheap when you buy from the right places.

5. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah, I do feel pretty stupid for not buying the Applecare.

And I have more problems with my mac other than the dvd drive unfortunately. :(

Thanks for the help anyways.

EDIT: Just a question. My dad was talking about how he bought the mac with an American Express card and that extends the warranty of products brought...does that apply to Apple or no?

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, it does. I had a MBP repaired with this same deal. You get a repair quote from Apple and send it to American Express along with a copy of the purchase receipt. If American Express approves the repair you get Apple to do the repair and charge it to the card. Then Amex will refund the cost to the card. Note that using the American Express card doubles the original warranty so the MBP must have been purchased less than two years ago.

7. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Woo that's awesome. So relieved.
    Thanks.

8. falerus macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem as you when I tried to burn an ISO of CentOS...
    What worked for me was blowing compressed air into the dvd drive. A few blasts later and the burn worked perfectly. Of course, try at your own risk! :p