Unable to buy contract-free iPhone 6 through AT&T

mrcultureshock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
North Georgia Mountains, USA
I'm correctly on an iPhone 4s and I'm not in contract anymore (it's been 3 years). I'd like to purchase a contract-free phone through ATT or Apple (currently down). My only upgrade options for ATT is NEXT or a 2 year contract.

Why can't I upgrade by buying a contract free iPhone 6?

Thanks!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's really puzzling and infuriating. My 4s is paid off yet I can only do NEXT or a 2 year contract. This with the complete incompetence by Apple on their own site really piss me off.
Wait, what? You're trying on Apples site? They never have sold contract-free phones on launches. They start selling those weeks later. Don't know why you can't on ATT's site.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I've been trying on AT&T's site and it's only giving me Next or new contract pricing as options.

arken

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I'm correctly on an iPhone 4s and I'm not in contract anymore (it's been 3 years). I'd like to purchase a contract-free phone through ATT or Apple (currently down). My only upgrade options for ATT is NEXT or a 2 year contract.

Why can't I upgrade by buying a contract free iPhone 6?

Thanks!
After so may failed attempts, I was able to buy 6plus 64 GB contract free att iphone for 849 dollars thru att website. The only bad thing is shipping is estimated at 14-21 days.

mrcultureshock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
After so may failed attempts, I was able to buy 6plus 64 GB contract free att iphone for 849 dollars thru att website. The only bad thing is shipping is estimated at 14-21 days.
How did you do it? When I choose iphone 6+ and click on Upgrade, it takes me to my account page and I can see if NEXT or a 2 year contract.

arken

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
How did you do it? When I choose iphone 6+ and click on Upgrade, it takes me to my account page and I can see if NEXT or a 2 year contract.
Yup i saw the same, just proceed for upgrade which will give you options to select the phones. While selecting the phone, u will see the option of either att next, 2 year contract and contract free. Gud luck. Check out was successful in more than 10 attempts for me though.

mrcultureshock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Yup i saw the same, just proceed for upgrade which will give you options to select the phones. While selecting the phone, u will see the option of either att next, 2 year contract and contract free. Gud luck. Check out was successful in more than 10 attempts for me though.
I only see NEXT and a 2 year contract.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
ATT is not giving that option on their site. You will have to go to a store. I also hate how they are pushing the paperless billing crap on every page. Got my two phones ordered though ATT to arrive on 19th!

arken

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
ATT is not giving that option on their site. You will have to go to a store. I also hate how they are pushing the paperless billing crap on every page. Got my two phones ordered though ATT to arrive on 19th!
i just bought through att site. After clicking on Upgrade (shown on attached image), the next page was the next image shown.

Attachments

mrcultureshock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
i just bought through att site. After clicking on Upgrade (shown on attached image), the next page was the next image shown.
I don't see the pages that you attached. Any upgrade will take me to myATT page and all I see are NEXT and 2 year contract. I'm receiving a discount because I'm a Georgia state employee. I don't know if this means that the contract free is not open to me.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Did you get a confirmation email?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Did you get a confirmation email?
The emails came from AT&T about 15 seconds after the orders went through, confiming both to be here on the 19th

----------

COngrats to you. I feel so much better that this is over, now we just got to wait a week!