Unable to change mac address OSX snow lep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ineedanewimac, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ineedanewimac macrumors newbie

I am trying to change my mac adress for the ethernet connection with
    it has only once worked and now it either tells me device power is off or nothing but the Mac address has not changed at all
    I am currently on 10.6.8

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why do you think you need to change your MAC address?

3. ineedanewimac thread starter macrumors newbie

router troubles which stop my Mac address from connecting

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And why do you think changing your Mac address will solve the problem? If your MAC address is being purposely blocked by the router you are trying to access, perhaps you should take whatever steps you need to take to get your computer on the white list.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

It could be his own router, or his school's network, that has some kind of timeout/mac address limit/whatnot which means that if he connects and then doesn't disconnect properly, the router won't allow the same mac address to reconnect within a certain time limit.

I have a similar problem with one of the networks I'm usually on. I connect to the wifi, then I have to log on. But if I let my computer go to sleep without having logged out from the wifi, I can't reconnect until 60 minutes after my computer went to sleep. I can log on from another computer, but no one can use my computer to log on, so I'm betting it's a mac address limitation.

6. ineedanewimac thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i need it for school but i used that code at home and it just dosn't work at all

7. ineedanewimac thread starter macrumors newbie

since there don't seem to be any other codes to change the mac address what does the Device power off mean?