Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I have a ringtone....m4a that i want to install but when I go on itunes to ring and drag and drop...it disappears..I am unable to do anything.....I have reset the phone without luck. then I put the ringtone in the library...highlighted it..it done...and NOTHING.
If you can help, I would appreciate it. Pls...no comments saying "gee, I don't have any problems" kindly share that with someone else. Thanks. (file was converted from.3gp as I read I needed to do this first)

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
You have to rename the file to an .m4r before you drag-and-drop it onto iTunes to get it to show up in the Tones section.

If you keep it as an .m4a, iTunes interprets it as a song.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
You have to rename the file to an .m4r before you drag-and-drop it onto iTunes to get it to show up in the Tones section.

If you keep it as an .m4a, iTunes interprets it as a song.
Cannot do....used software designed to make 3gp to usable ringtone for iphone and it generated the .mp4....its not possible to change it....just saying...change it to .m4r without any clear way to do it, makes this solution unusable.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Only takes a moment to change the file name extension in the finder.
Just click on your file (don't open it), then press enter, which will select the file name.
Double-click on the .m4a extension, and type m4r.
Press enter again, and, voilà!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Cannot do....used software designed to make 3gp to usable ringtone for iphone and it generated the .mp4....its not possible to change it....just saying...change it to .m4r without any clear way to do it, makes this solution unusable.

Just rename it.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
did not work...when I double clicked it just played the tone...followed your instructions....U have to wonder why apple made this so damn complicated. clicked on file...press enter doubleclicked and it just played

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Didn't work, because you did not read my instructions.
slightly different instructions:
Select the file (don't open it), then press return, which will highlight the name. If the filename extension .m4a is not highlighted, double-click on that filename extension, which will select the extension Press return again.
That's all you need to do.

If that still doesn't work for you, then another method (which also works :D ), select the file, then Command-I to the file's info window. Change the name in the Name & Extensions section (you will see it there.)

(Are you doing this on a Mac? or a Windows PC?

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Didn't work, because you did not read my instructions.
slightly different instructions:
Select the file (don't open it), then press return, which will highlight the name. If the filename extension .m4a is not highlighted, double-click on that filename extension, which will select the extension Press return again.
That's all you need to do.

If that still doesn't work for you, then another method (which also works :D ), select the file, then Command-I to the file's info window. Change the name in the Name & extensions section.

(Are you doing this on a Mac? or a Windows PC?
Okay (Iam Mac) that worked so I dragged it into the window and its just sitting there...what now??

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Now you have your ringtone in iTunes.

Next step, is to sync your iPhone to iTunes.
(Click the Sync button in iTunes/your iphone window)
And, your new ring tone will now be available to use on your iPhone.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Okay...I synched...then used my land line to call it iphone and i get the same ring tone....it failed.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you select your new ringtone in Settings/Sounds/Ringtone?
You should see the name of your ringtone in the list of sounds.

Also, remember that you can assign ringtones for specific callers.
Be sure to check in your contacts (for your land line) that the ringtone for that number is the new one. It will remain set for some other ringtone until you change it in contacts.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
ok under ringtones....apex to waves is listed not what i put in....boy..this is overly complicated at best.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Your new ringtone does appear in iTunes (on your Mac), under Tones? Correct?

Maybe you are missing a step moving the m4r to iTunes.

When it shows in your tones list under Sounds on your iPhone, I think you should see it at the top of the list.

Try again - http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/05/how-to-set-any-song-as-iphone-ringtone.html
[doublepost=1493297340][/doublepost]I have done it all....sync...changed suffix ending....put in ring tones but on the phone itself...it still does NOT show up. I cannot understand why.....especially why Apple made this so difficult

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, it does appear in the Tones section in your iTunes (?)

Go back to your Mac. Get info for your ringtone file.
What does that show for "Kind"?
The file icon in the info window should show an iTunes icon, with the letters m4r, and the Kind should be "Ringtone"

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
So, it does appear in the Tones section in your iTunes (?)

Go back to your Mac. Get info for your ringtone file.
What does that show for "Kind"?
The file icon in the info window should show an iTunes icon, with the letters m4r, and the Kind should be "Ringtone"
[doublepost=1493301948][/doublepost]Okay...it says "ring tone" on the itunes...but with the iphone connected it does NOT show up in the sounds menu just the tones created by apple.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmmm

So, in iTunes, your ringtone does, in fact, appear in Tones section while your iPhone is connected to your Mac?
Delete that tone from the Tones list, then drag the original ringtone file back in from your Mac. Do you get an error message of any kind?
Then, after clicking the Sync button, the tone still does not appear in your iPhone/Settings/Sounds/Ringtone list?
Did you try restarting your iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.