I own a iPhone 4s and an ipad2 and while trying to update ota it will check for an update for 30 seconds and then tell me "unable to check for update, an error has occurred while checking for a software update". This happening to anyone else?
Android get's OTA updates, but the situation is the same. Some people have instant success while others wait hours or days. I am sure OTA will eventually work for you. How soon, is another question. When considering how many of these devices are likely trying to pull an OTA update, it is not shocking to me that it's still not working for some people, even three days later. I agree, it should work, but realistically it isn't going to for everyone right after the firmware launches. Even when I update through iTunes, I usually try and download the firmware from a third party site, that likely has less traffic.
I have an IPhone 4s and could not get it to do the software update.
Using information supplied by others, I successfully did the download and verfication!
These are my steps:
On the IPhone:
1. Go to SETTINGS
2. Go to Wifi
3. Open your current Wifi screen (which should be checkmarked)
4. Scroll down to the DNS
5. Record the numbers so that you can replace them after the download
6. Change the numbers to 188.8.131.52
7. Exit out of SETTINGS by hitting RETURN on the screen keyboard
8. HIT the HOME button
9. Go back into SETTINGS
10. Go into "General"
11. Choose SOFTWARE UPDATE and you SHOULD GET THE UPDATE!
12. After the update & verfication, the IPhone will reboot and finish installing
13. Finally, remember to go back into SETTINGS - WIFI - and replace the DNS numbers you originally started with.
Well .. So much for calling iOS 5 unplug iPhone and iPad from computer, right?
I had the same problem, days of waiting but still got the same error message. So in the end I just download the fill sized ipsw on my iPhone (using a download manager app of course), export it to computer and do the update the old way via iTunes. Problem solved!!
If they really serious about unplugging iOS from computer, and OTA updates is messing up, at least Apple should allow us to use full sized ipsw file directly on iPhone/iPad. Just open the file anywhere from file manager app, and our device will recognize it and do the whole installation process. Without computer.