Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trimanjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I just purchased the Apple mini display port to DVI adapter and HDMI to DVI Video Cable along with separate Belkin audio cables in order to use my Apple MacPro on my Samsung HDTV. Unfortunately, I only see my laptop "wallpaper" photograph when connecting to the HDMI. Unable to see the dock, files, or the mouse arrow moving. Tried connecting to a host of HDMI/DVI inputs with the same wallpaper seen. Tried connecting first with the TV powered and the computer powered down followed by powering up the TV followed by the computer. Any other suggestions to see my computer on the TV??

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement

lcd%20mac.gif

Select MIRROR DISPLAYS to mirror the laptop's display onto the TV or deselect MIRROR DISPLAYS (as it is currently done) to extend the display to the TV. Move the mouse cursor around and see if you can see it on the TV. You can do the same with windows.

4561230714_d6e9a40397_o.jpg

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Do you have another monitor connected as well? If so, move the mouse to the right side of the screen, and keep going. It should show up on the TV then. This is because the stock setting is to extend the desktop. You can change that to mirroring in System Preferences -> displays. That will show the same thing on both monitors.

trimanjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
new issue: getting the audio to work

Thanks for the "mirror display" tip...it works!!

struggling now with the audio... attached the Belkin "Connect Play Listen" stereo cable to the white/red combo but have no audio. Is there a "settings" tip I need to adjust?v:)

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Thanks for the "mirror display" tip...it works!!

struggling now with the audio... attached the Belkin "Connect Play Listen" stereo cable to the white/red combo but have no audio. Is there a "settings" tip I need to adjust?v:)

If there is a setting, it would be on the tv. You have to make sure that the audio in is for the same input as the video. Only problem there is that most HDMI inputs don't have a separate audio input. If your tv has a HDMI port that does have audio input with it, use that. Otherwise look for a setting to take audio from one source and video from another. The tv may not have that though, and if that's the case, you may be SOL unless you have some sort of stereo that you can plug it into.

trimanjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
audio followup

I was able to match the HDMI/DVI input along with the audio and it works. Many thanks !!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.