Unable to connect to certain websites

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MadDoc, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I have a bit of weird problem that I've been noticing for some time now and it's really starting to annoy me.

For some reason, I am unable to visit certain websites. When I try to visit them in my browser (any browser) I get a 'can't connect to server' error message. If I try to ping the website in question, I get a 'request timeout for icmp_' message in the Terminal.

This is only the minority of websites. Most sites work fine. There seems to be no link between the websites that do and don't work. All devices on my home network fail to connect to these sites. Before you ask, they aren't dodgy websites (one of them is www.petsathome.com). I know the sites are up because if I visit them on my iPhone with 3G they work fine.

I have turned my firewall off on my router. I have tried using Google's DNS instead of my ISP's (O2 home broadband).

Any idea what might be the issue?

Thanks,

MadDoc

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting your router. Also, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

Make sure you don't have any ad-blockers or extensions that could interfere with those sites. Reset your browser, clearing cookies and cache, and restart your Mac.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

Try bypassing your router completely and see if it makes a difference. Obviously you'll need to use laptop/desktop with a cat5 cable and connect to whatever modem you have.