Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I am using OS X El Capitan. My Mac is connected to the internet though wireless connection at home. I set up the printer and it is also connected to the same network. I downloaded the HP Easy Start program from HP. Upon hitting My HP Product Setup, there is a check mark next to power on, installation of supplement cartridges, and the sentence saying that in case wireless connection is not used, use usb or ethernet cable to connect the Mac to the printer. I pressed Continued. After searching for awhile, it says that device cannot be found. I tried to add the printer via system preference->printer and scanner, in the first trial the printer name showed up but after resetting the printer, the printer does not show up anymore. Could you please let me know how to fix the problem?

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I spent too many hours two weekends ago configuring a HP Printer (wired.) I'm going to buy Canon in the future! Not kidding.

The two things that solved my problem: (1) If you're printer is wire connected to the router (ethernet), make sure you have a good cord. Change it out to see if that helps. I understand you're printing wirelessly. (2) I ended up having to reserve an ip address for the hp printer.

It didn't help matters Apple's Airport Utility no longer works consistently.

Be sure to set-up the printer using ip address versus bonjour.

Hope that sorts it for you.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I spent too many hours two weekends ago configuring a HP Printer (wired.) I'm going to buy Canon in the future! Not kidding.

The two things that solved my problem: (1) If you're printer is wire connected to the router (ethernet), make sure you have a good cord. Change it out to see if that helps. I understand you're printing wirelessly. (2) I ended up having to reserve an ip address for the hp printer.

It didn't help matters Apple's Airport Utility no longer works consistently.

Be sure to set-up the printer using ip address versus bonjour.

Hope that sorts it for you.

Thanks. The installation program chose Airport while the instruction recommend choosing m477fdw which is not available.

Which IP address should I use? Both the Mac and the AIO printer are connected to the net wirelessly.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
After I updated the firmware wirelessly from Windows 7, the printer can now print and scan under Windows. Have not tested the fax function yet. I still cannot get the AIO printer working with Mac.

Under HP Easy Start, there is a suggestion of adding the printer and then perform:

a) Choose "HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw (7F5E90)"
b) From driver pop-up menu, choose "HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw"
c) Click Add

When I chose add printer, under default, I see:

HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw (7F5E90) , Type: Bonjour multifunction

However, under driver, "Secure AirPrint" is chosen as the default. Other options include:

AirPrint
Auto Selection
Standard Postscript Printer
Standard PCL Printer
Choose software
Other

What shall I do? From Windows, I found out IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the printer.

When I clicked the IP tab and entered either IP address with IPP as the protocol (not sure if it is the right option), standard postscript printer was chosen automatically as the driver. There is a warning that the chosen software is not from the original manufacturer, some of the functions might not be function.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I tried the solutions of three threads but still does not work.

1. http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04867658

First, for this printer, there is no HP Software Update to address Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) scanning issues with HP LaserJet products on OS X El Capitan.

Second, I followed Steps 2 and 3 but under the "Use" menu, the printer name is not listed. Only Secure AirPrint, AirPrint, Generic Postscript Printer, Generic PCL Printer, Chose software are available. Under Choose software, this printer is not listed. Tired AirPrint and SecureAirPrint but scanning still fail.

2. Installed the apple driver

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl907?locale=en_US

It worked one time but failed the rest of the time. This does not help as the printer is not listed as a compatible device.

3. Installed HP Easy Scan. When the only one time that worked, the scanned image was rotated by about 30 degrees for no reason. Then, the program keeps giving me an error message saying that there is an erro during communication withh the scanner.

Could anybody please help me to resolve this issue? Thank you.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Also so the MFPs?
Yes, the Brother MFPs are much more reliable. The only real downside is their GUI is not as user friendly. They opted for reliability over ease of use. Once you get used to it. It is great. But can throw you for a loop if you aren't technically inclined.

Note: There is a glitch I have noted with Brother scanning. You cannot have two or more simultaneous active network connections on your Mac to the same network. Scanning initiated from the scanner will often fail in this scenario while scanning initiated from the computer works. After many times troubleshooting a clients computer. I figured out that if the Mac has an Ethernet cable plugged into the network and also has a wireless connection to the same network. Scanning will fail. Same goes for two Ethernet connections.

Although most people only use Wired or Wireless. I wanted to let you know. As some people plug in to the Ethernet for a faster internet connection and leave the Wireless turned on.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks. The installation program chose Airport while the instruction recommend choosing m477fdw which is not available.

Which IP address should I use? Both the Mac and the AIO printer are connected to the net wirelessly.

The lcd on the printer will allow you to view the ip address. Be sure your router numbers them consistently. For example, my router starts numbers at 10.0.0.1. When the HP wasn't connecting to the router it was using a 192.x.x.x number.

The hp set-up utility failed for me with a "bad" Ethernet cord. It's unclear if your printer is completely unwired from the router.

Try hp's e-print app.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't know what happened but all of a sudden, my Mac can find the printer through wireless connection. Scanning one side is OK but the printer is supposed to be able to do duplex scanning. I cannot find such feature in System Preference-> Printer & Scanner. In HP Easy Scan, there is a duplex option but even I chose it, hitting the button scan on the computer scanned only one side. Anybody knows how to scan both sides at the same time?

Last edited:

mdsofky

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't know what happened but all of a sudden, my Mac can find the printer through wireless connection. Scanning one side is OK but the printer is supposed to be able to do duplex scanning. I cannot find such feature in System Preference-> Printer & Scanner. In HP Easy Scan, there is a duplex option but even I chose it, hitting the button scan on the computer scanned only one side. Anybody knows how to scan both sides at the same time?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Since the printer has an IP put that printer in into your favorite browser and see if the printer has a wiki GUI that you can setup settings!

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Since the printer has an IP put that printer in into your favorite browser and see if the printer has a wiki GUI that you can setup settings!

Thanks satcomer. After a software update, it gets connected wirelessly all the time.

Art Lynch

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2017
Hello, I am using OS X El Capitan. My Mac is connected to the internet though wireless connection at home. I set up the printer and it is also connected to the same network. I downloaded the HP Easy Start program from HP. Upon hitting My HP Product Setup, there is a check mark next to power on, installation of supplement cartridges, and the sentence saying that in case wireless connection is not used, use usb or ethernet cable to connect the Mac to the printer. I pressed Continued. After searching for awhile, it says that device cannot be found. I tried to add the printer via system preference->printer and scanner, in the first trial the printer name showed up but after resetting the printer, the printer does not show up anymore. Could you please let me know how to fix the problem?
[doublepost=1501367289][/doublepost]Same problem. It worked until an HP upgrade. It worked with all devises even older phones and computers not using El Capitan. Is there a fix. I nee to print remotely. Use laptop, ipad and phones.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
[doublepost=1501367289][/doublepost]Same problem. It worked until an HP upgrade. It worked with all devises even older phones and computers not using El Capitan. Is there a fix. I nee to print remotely. Use laptop, ipad and phones.

In February, I updated the firmware. Then, I could connect to the printer to print wirelessly. No problem under both El Capitan and mac OS Sierra. However, for scanning, sometimes it work but sometimes it doesn't.

JMCD2002

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2020

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I have a wireless HP printer and a MacBook Air. Worked fine at my house via my wifi there. Will not work in the assisted living apartment via their wifi. Gave up and bought a cable. Happened with Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and now with Catalina. Tried assistance from Apple, from HP and from the admin type here in our apartments; no luck.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I have a wireless HP printer and a MacBook Air. Worked fine at my house via my wifi there. Will not work in the assisted living apartment via their wifi. Gave up and bought a cable. Happened with Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and now with Catalina. Tried assistance from Apple, from HP and from the admin type here in our apartments; no luck.

If the printer is very old, it may not du WPA2. My mom has an old Brother that has this problem.
I got a great deal for a Brother MFP for them, though. It even does A3.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

If the place is offering community WiFi. It could be setup where everyone is connected to a guest network and security settings don't allow devices to communicate with one an other.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
If the place is offering community WiFi. It could be setup where everyone is connected to a guest network and security settings don't allow devices to communicate with one an other.
Yep. If the admin from the center doesn't want to get into it, you're out of luck. The issue is going to be with the wireless router and, if the Admin wants to enable the printer, he/she may require tech support from the router maker.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Yep. If the admin from the center doesn't want to get into it, you're out of luck. The issue is going to be with the wireless router and, if the Admin wants to enable the printer, he/she may require tech support from the router maker.

I my case wifi connection works with Windows PC, Lenovo laptops and MBP 2020 straight out of the box. Only has issue with MBP 16". So it has nothing to do with the router and ISP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.