Unable to connect to shared computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pagemakers, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

One of the computers (MacBook Air) on my network has suddenly stopped allowing other users to connect to it.

It appears in finder under SHARED but there is no CONNECT AS option, just SHARE SCREEN.

Sharing is enabled and I have checked absolutely everything from what I can find in these and other forums.

It used to work fine and now it's suddenly stopped.

Although every other machine on the network can see the computer, nothing can connect to it.

Any ideas?

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Are you the admin/only user? Is there any chance that someone else could have gone in and changed the settings?

I don't know what you've done already, but have you seen what's checked under Sharing in system preferences? Perhaps "screen sharing" is your only checked box? Check the other relevant ones and see if it works then.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

I am the only user. File sharing is checked.

I have un-checked, re-checked it. Re-booted. Trashed several pref files.

It used to work and stopped last week. I have spend hours on this. Comparing it to another identical computer and the settings are the same.

I've created a new admin and that makes no difference. The "Connect As" dialogue is missing only leaving the screen sharing option which it does without a problem.

4. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Hi, I hate these type of problems where it appears everything is correct, but for some reason the OS is messed up! I'm not at my computer right now, so the only thing I can recommend is, of course, going to the Genius Bar, or backing up your computer, wiping the hard drive, reinstalling Mac OS X, and restoring from your backup. This does appear to be an OS problem (since it's not showing up), so hopefully that will work. Good luck!

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Yea, Im going to have to do that if I cant find a solution here first...