Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoyalStone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
I have a mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro , and I'm trying to get my new Ethernet to USB adapter from Radioshack. Nothing shows up in the Networks pane of System preferences, and when I turn off wifi I can no longer connect to the internet. It came with drivers, and I installed that package and then restarted but nothing shows up for this adapter. Is there a certain order I should be plugging the various cables in? Is it possible the problem is with the Ethernet cable which is also new?

I'm trying to figure out how I can get this device working. Here is a picture of how it shows up in System Information:
1TUVsbz.png

(It says USB 2.0, but the 12mbps speed and the fact that the manual says it is USB 1.1 say otherwise).

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
First, I'd try different drivers. That includes drivers from other vendors.

If that didn't work, I'd try another USB/Ethernet adapter...

Reactions: RoyalStone

RoyalStone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
I'll try some different drivers, but first shouldn't I uninstall the one I installed? How would I do that?

And yeah, I'm willing to buy another one (maybe from Monoprice if people say that one works, or maybe just the $30 Apple Ethernet to Thunderbolt, because that one is all but guaranteed to work) but I'd like to see if I can get this one to work.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Do you need a straight Ethernet cable....Tx--->TX and Rx--->Rx or, a reverse cable that is wired Tx--->Rx and Rx--->Tx? The connection will not work if you don't get the transmit and receive pairs as the devices expect.

Reactions: RoyalStone

RoyalStone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions you two, but I managed to fix it. As per this xkcd:

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

I will share what I did.

I searched the Product ID in my screenshot (which is 0x9702 so that someone can search for it [vendor id is
0x0fe6]) along with the word "mac" which led me to this article.

I will copy and paste the full text here in case that site goes down. Following those steps solved my issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.