Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Unable to Copy Files to and from Flash Drive on iMac

silentarts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Hey folks. Been having an issue with my iMac. I have been unable to copy and paste files to and from my Flash Drive on iMac.

Can anyone please help me?

I can access my Flash Drive, and I am the Admin to the iMac, but I do not understand why I am unable to do this. Even some of the files that I have created like Word/Office Files won't copy.

Can anybody please help me out!

My Flash Drive is a Lexar 32GB Flash Drive.

My other issue is that I have a Kingston 8GB Flash Drive and for nothing it won't show up on my iMac, but it would show up on a PC without any issues and problems.

Please tell me what to do!

Thanks...

silentarts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I know for a fact that it is in NTFS. If I put it in ExFat won't it be only for the Mac? I want em to work both on Mac and PC!

Comment

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I know for a fact that it is in NTFS. If I put it in ExFat won't it be only for the Mac? I want em to work both on Mac and PC!

OS X can only read NTFS drives. It can not write to them. That is your issue. If you want compatibility with OS X and Windows then use FAT32.

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
ExFAT works on Windows and Linux as well as OS X

OS X can only read NTFS drives. It can not write to them. That is your issue. If you want compatibility with OS X and Windows then use FAT32.
ExFat also works for Windows. Unless the drive is very small, ExFat is probably the better choice.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.