Unable to copy large files to a Windows share

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by smirk, Feb 9, 2015.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hi, I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.2 from Mavericks. One thing I've noticed is that I'm now unable to transfer large (> 4GB) files to my Windows home server. The error given is "The item "xyz" can't be copied because it is too large for the volume's format".

Now, the actual Windows file system is NTFS, but Get Info on the mounted Windows share shows the format as "SMB (FAT)". Is this just how SMB represents shares?

Any ideas how to work around this? Mounting the share with CIFS:// instead of SMB:// makes no difference.

Thanks!

2. atki81 macrumors member

OS X by default can only read and not write to NTFS you need to change the volume to exFAT to get large file support. Hope this helps.

3. rosario1990 macrumors regular

If you can't share your file directly then convert your file. Then this may work.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He's not accessing the drive directly but via networking services.

5. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Thanks, but that's not the same issue. This guy's copies were failing part way through; on mine, the Finder won't even let the copy begin. It's like Finder thinks the remote file system is FAT and is trying to be helpful by not letting me copy anything to the server that its native file system couldn't handle.

Is no one else having this problem?

6. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

How many physical drives in your windows server? Are you absolutely sure one of them isn't FAT?

7. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

There are five drives, all of them formatted as NTFS (I just double checked).

The thing is, this worked fine under Mavericks. I think Yosemite broke something.