Unable to create El Capitan Bootable USB

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Alpal0301, May 7, 2018.

1. Alpal0301 macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

Hi,

I have got myself a 32gb usb stick and erased it to Extended Journaled, named the USB " Untitled " without quotations ! copied and pasted this into terminal : Alans-MBP:~ alandaley$ /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

to get this error message :

This tool must be run as root.

All I'm trying to do is create a bootable El Capitan USB :-(. Can anyone offer some help please ?

2. CoastalOR, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018

CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

I've only used sudo per Apples instructions.

Apples code (paste in your terminal app):
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app
    Apples Instructions:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, you need the sudo.
    Sudo runs your command as root, which is what the error message is telling you to do.

The sudo will ask you to enter your admin password.
    You will NOT see any characters in the terminal when you type your password - so just type it in, then press enter to run the command.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If nothing else is working for you, try either "DiskMaker X" or "Boot Buddy".
    Both are free, easy to use, and avoid the terminal.

5. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

Thanks for your advice - really appreciate it :)

6. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

Hi All, believe it or not I am still trying to get El Capitan on my old laptop :-(.
    I have now bought an original install dvd for EC but still unable to boot into it ?? What am I doing wrong ? I get this message : The Install OS X El Capitan can't be used from this disc. Copy this application to a writable Mac OS Extended formatted disk and re-open it to continue installation ? :-(. Can anyone please help. This is so crazy that something so simple has turned out to be a right pain in the behind. Many thanks in advance ;-)

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Whoever created that El Capitan DVD was not trying too hard, I suppose. Likely was just not created properly.
    Apple has not provided an OS X install on DVD since 10.6.3. Apple DID sell 10.7 (Lion) on a flash drive for a short time, but nothing after 10.7 has been available on anything other than a download from Apple.
    Any DVD with an install version newer than 10.6.3 did NOT come from Apple.

8. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

9. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

Hi, thanks for your reply. How do I use the above ? Do I need to install an OS on the 17" 2010 MBP before I enter it in terminal ? I've tried so many ways to install it that I've lost the will to live lol

10. Banglazed, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

For simplicity, download the El Capitan, rename flash drive to ElCapInstaller, enter that above into terminal and boom done.

Don’t need to format the USB since the command used in the terminal will format and create the bootable USB.

11. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

I'll give that a try, I'm not confident it will work because I've followed almost every bit of advice and watch so many you tube vids. I appreciate your help and will let you know how I get on :)
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2018 ---
    Ive formatted the usb ( no partitions ) and then keyed in the string into terminal but get this ?

" sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found. "

12. chrfr macrumors 604

Don't type that in, copy and paste. All of the \ characters are important. The \ is what's known as an escape character and you need one in front of every space.

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You also need to make sure that your El Capitan installer app is located where the command expects it to be: in your Applications folder.

14. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

That last bit of advice was spot on thanks !!!! I have successfully created the boot disc however I just cannot boot into it ??? It so odd ??

15. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

My bad I forgot to mention that!

Are you holding down the Option key right after you hear the startup chime?

16. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

--- Post Merged, May 18, 2018 ---
    Yeah tried that already but still no joy

17. Banglazed, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Is there any other device connected via USB? It might be better to not have any other device except the bootable USB.

You can also try this and force the boot drive to external drive (USB) from this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796

18. Alpal0301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpal0301

Thanks so much I will try that and let you know how it goes

19. bripoole macrumors newbie

bripoole

Hi, anyone know where I can get a copy of El Capitan to create a usb installer? I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13 that shipped with El Capitan but I cannot download it from the App Store, I would be very grateful for a link to it or something