Unable to delete alias file

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TheOriginalKi, Apr 7, 2012.

1. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm new to Mac. Can some one explain why I can't delete these two files?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even if I click 'Delete Alias' it doesn't work.

It still doesn't work if I delete the rest of the files in the screen shoot.

Thanks

Kieran

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Probably a permissions issue. Do you know your way around terminal? If so, use it to see what the permissions are. You might find you can just "rm" the alias.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Even if I click 'Delete Alias' it doesn't work."

This suggestion may work, or it may not.

What I'd try to do first:
    "Re-direct" the alias file. That is to say, make it "point to" a -different- original, and then see if you can delete the alias.

How to attempt this:
    - Click ONE time on the problem alias file to select it.
    - Type "command-i" to bring up "Get info"
    - About halfway down the window that opens, you will see a button "Select New Original". Click on that.
    - You will next see a standard "file selection" dialog. Just select a file (ANY file) to become the "new original" for the problem alias, and click "choose".
    - Now close the get info box, drag the problem alias to the trash, and try to empty the trash.

Did that help at all?

4. TheOriginalKi thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really know my way around Terminal just yet but when I get a bit of time tomorrow I'll have a look around. I did try the rm command before however I was unable to drag the file to the Terminal window so it wouldn't work.

----------

'new original' is greyed out =[.

----------

There is now a third problem alias showing as the exact same name. So 3 rather than 2... and originally it was just one. I did reboot earlier so maybe a new alias is created after a reboot. This isn't causing any issues really but it's annoying me and I just don't understand why I can't delete them.

5. TheOriginalKi thread starter macrumors 6502

How can I rm the alias if I can't drag it and I don't know where it is located?

6. TheOriginalKi thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems the alias have randomly gone after a few reboots. Ah well at least they are gone! I wont question why.