Unable to delete any applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TSC, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TSC macrumors newbie

TSC

Hi,

Recently I upgraded to Snow Leopard, noticed some real improvements, etc. However, it has become apparent over the last week or so, that I am unable to delete any application from any folder on my system. I have tried changing ownership and permission settings to no avail. I have also tried using those application removal tools (AppZapper, AppDelete, et al). None of the files I wish to delete are 'locked' and I do not believe they are owned by root. I am not an expert in using the Terminal application, so I have not tried changing settings using this.

I had intended to take my computer into my local Apple store, however, I wanted to see if I could find a solution online and fix it myself.

I should also mention that I am not trying to delete pre-installed software, just third-party software that I no longer use.

The best way of describing what happens after I trash an app is that almost immediately after trashing, the app seems to 'jump' back to its former place.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Perhaps it would be useful for you to describe what happens when you try each method you mentioned. "It doesn't work" is not much to go on.

3. TSC thread starter macrumors newbie

TSC

I'm sorry you didn't quite get the message of my post, Gregg2.

I must say, I think my post is pretty clear, however, do allow me to clarify further.

I have found that I can no longer delete applications, whether third-party or pre-installed. Every time I 'trash' an app, it momentarily disappears then almost instantly reappears (almost as if it jumps from the trash back to the Apps folder). In order to try to solve this:

I have tried changing ownership and permissions of files I wish to delete - apps still 'jump' back.

I have tried using application removal tools - they have no effect, apps still jump back.

I have repaired permissions using Disk Utility - apps still 'jump' back.

None of the files I wish to trash are owned by root nor are they locked.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Are you an admin user? If not, could that be the problem?

5. TSC thread starter macrumors newbie

TSC

Hey, I am an admin user, yes. Don't have any parental controls set-up either.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Thanks. Try new plist files for the Dock and Finder, as there is not one for Trash.

com.apple.dock.plist
    com.apple.finder.plist

Are you familiar with that drill?

7. Skypeople macrumors newbie

same problem

I am having the same problem, and I tried to delete the .plist files for finder and dock, but there are none... at least none that I could find..I am looking for com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.finder.plist ... neither exist on my mac.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, they do. Start out in your Home Folder. That's the one with the little house icon (unless you changed it). It's the folder you named, or whoever set up your Mac.

In there, go into the Library folder. (There are several Library folders on your Mac. That's why you have to get into that Home folder first!) Once in the proper Library folder, open the Preferences folder. (not Preference Panes)

You'll find both of those files. Drag one of them out onto your Desktop and Restart. If no joy, repeat with the other file. (First, you may want to poke around a bit and make sure nothing else is different that you can't live with. In that case, move the first file back to the original location. This will overwrite a new one that was created by the Restart.) Repeat again (moving it back) if necessary.

9. Skypeople macrumors newbie

Found a workaround

First off.. Thanks Gregg2.. not sure why I couldn't find those .plist files with spotlight, but they were there, however removing them and recreating them with a restart didn't help... so, I tried something that else.. I created a temporary folder, on the desktop to make it easy, dragged the applications in there, and then dragged that folder into the trash. After emptying the trash, they are finally gone! :)

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Great! Too bad we couldn't figure out what was corrupt though.

Spotlight is a piece of junk in my opinion.

TSC, does the above method help your situation?
    (I know this thread is more than a month old, but, asking just in case...)