Unable to delete folders off external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stingray88, Nov 11, 2008.

1. stingray88 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook and I am connecting an external hard drive via USB 2.0.

When I want to delete a folder it gives me "error 1407". There is nothing in the folder and it is not protected in any way. It was a folder created by me only a month or so ago. ALL of the folders on my external hard drive are like this. No files are effected with this issue.

Anyone know what to do?

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

3. JonnyThunder macrumors member

I had this problem with an external drive, formatted as FAT. I just got all the stuff off the drive and reformatted as Mac OS Extended. Haven't seen the issue since.

What is your drive formatted as (as a matter of interest)?

4. stingray88 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is formatted in FAT32, but I am not going to reformat it because I want it to be readable fully functional in all operating systems.

I also can not really move everything off the external to anywhere else in order to reformat or erase this drive. Its a 1TB drive with about 700GB of movies on it... don't really have that space available elsewhere...

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Is there a real solution to this issue. I also have a shared drive between Windows and Mac and don't want to format it over?

First real disappointment I've encountered going mac, if this in fact true. It is probably me though. Can I do it from Terminal?