Unable to delete folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeff^d, Dec 4, 2007.

1. jeff^d macrumors member

I just switched to Apple about a week ago. I am working on a MBP with Leopard. After a fresh install, I created a folder on my desktop where I dumped all my old pictures, music, and documents from my Windows machine using a USB hard drive.

On my old PC, I had iTunes organize music into the My Music folder. I have this old My Music folder on my desktop, and I'm copying music into iTunes and allowing iTunes to store it where it wants. When I go to delete the music that has already been copies into iTunes, I am unable to. I can delete the songs and the album folders, but I cannot delete the Artist-level folder. When I try, it asks me for an administrator password (which I enter), makes the trash noise, but the folder stays put.

I have checked permissions using "Get Info", and I am not experiencing this problem with any other folders I copied over from my PC. What am I missing?

2. jeff^d thread starter macrumors member

Ha, I just figured it out. The My Music folder itself was locked. Odd how it prevented me from deleted folders directly under the My Music folder (i.e. Artist-level), but deletion of Album-level folders and songs was not prevented.