unable to delete "locked" folders from trash :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wwwdotcomdotnet, Sep 7, 2008.

1. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

When I try to delete certain folders from my trash I must physically uncheck the lock icon in the more info of the folder. This has become exceedingly frustrating as I have hundreds of folders that have this issue. Only about half of the folders are like this, however I refuse to do this manually as there must be a better way. Can anyone recommend a better way? I tried highlighting all of the folders to remove the lock and that did work, however these folders have subfolders and it is becoming a huge chore. If it helps, I have two user accounts set up on my iMac, however mine is the administrator account. Attached are two screenshots of what I am talking about. On the left you see the Glassjaw folder has a lock on it, and if command click it the right screenshot pops up and you must deselect the locked option. Any help would save me a ton (HOURS) of trouble. I'm at wits end :(

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Have a look at this document and see if any of those tips work well for you.

3. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

of course its as simple as holding down the option key when

*slams face into desk*

thanks, that did the trick though!

4. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

actually, now that I have that taken car of, how do I unlock hundreds more folders with subfolders that aren't in my trash?

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I guess manually.....

6. bartelby macrumors Core

As a matter of interest did you try holding Alt down when you emptied the trash?

7. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

I held down the option button and that did the trick