Unable to delete partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AugustusRomanus, Jul 15, 2013.

1. AugustusRomanus macrumors newbie

AugustusRomanus

Hi, I'm trying to delete a partition of my hard drive that seems to be corrupt. I need to erase it in order to properly partition the hard drive so that boot camp will allow me to install Windows 7 on a new partition. What do I do?
    http://imgur.com/nAho7a0

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Under "Partition Layout:" change it from current to single partition, which should make take your hard drive back to just your Mac OS on a single volume.

Once you are back to using a single volume you can use Boot Camp Assistant to create a new partition and walk through the rest of the steps for installing Windows.

Hopefully that makes sense, good luck!

3. AugustusRomanus thread starter macrumors newbie

AugustusRomanus

Thank you! What do I format the drive as, and also, how do I move my Mac HD to the untitled drive?

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I appologize, my thinking was off. I hadn't noticed that you're disk was using the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition map scheme. I don't think that what you're wanting to do is easily possible. GUID allows you to resize partitions without data loss whereas I think MBR is destructive when resizing/repartitioning.

5. AugustusRomanus thread starter macrumors newbie

AugustusRomanus

So if I want to repartition my hard drive, all my data will be lost? Is there a way to switch from MBR to GUID?