Unable to delete trash files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hotrodsinner, Jan 18, 2008.

1. hotrodsinner macrumors newbie

I've pretty much tried everything I can think of but I'm unable to empty 2 files my trash can I can drag the two files out and they just disappear but when I go back to the trash they are both back again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

did you try using OnyX to force clear trash can?

3. hotrodsinner thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly I've never heard of it but I'll give it a go, Thanks

4. hotrodsinner thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice program but it didn't do the trick, both the files seem to be corrupt which may be the issue. I've attached a screen shot of my trash window.

http://idisk.mac.com/nath.mel-Public

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

With the possible corruption you can attempt to do a Repair Disk Permissions. You'll find this in the Disk Utility app. Select your hard drive from the left, then click the Verify Disk Permissions, and if it finds problems you can use the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Something else to try, go to Terminal, type: cd .Trash then type ls -ago and copy and paste the results here. It may reveal something about the files that we can use to help.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Have you tried Finder > Secure Empty Trash?

That has yet to fail me in Leopard and I've come across a few tough to delete file.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

can you move the files from the trash to let us say, the desktop?

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

9. dansickle macrumors newbie

I have the same file with the little null symbols and the two umlauts, I looked at it in terminal. It turns out that it is a file in the trash of my windows partition. So if you're like me and have a windows partition just try booting that up and emptying the recycling bin. In theory that will solve it, I'm just too impatient to boot XP to see if it actually works.