Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Both my iPad and iPod Touch can no longer determine where they are. I took a trip to Durango, Co (from Illinois) and since, both machines can't determine my location for programs that use it.

Ideas?

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Must be my network at home. I was in a restaurant with wifi this morning and it finally noticed that I was back in Illinois. It's only been 10 days since I got back :D

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Did you ever figure anything out about why your location was not working. I am having the same issue, seems like at home using wifi it is not able to find me. If I use my miFi device it does find me.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
For some reason, my location is found most places but never in my home. I have no idea why. For example. I've tried the Mobile Me find my iPad feature at home and it never works but if I'm five miles away in a restaurant, it knows exactly where I am. The same is true for other apps that want location.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
it is strange, while i am out and about using my Verizon mifi both Google earth and the map App have no trouble finding me. But at home using the wireless net gear router i get an error.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I may be way off here but from what i have read, it has something to do with the database that apple usees to determine location. Since we (at leat i) am wifi and not 3g apple is somehow using the router that the wifi signal is routing through.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
If you're not using a 3G iPad, you don't have a gps chip inside - so the location data is based off of known wifi hotspot locations. If your home hotspot location hasn't been mapped, your location services wont know where you are.

There are instructions out there for adding your home wifi to the database of locations used by (is it skyhook?) - ill see if I can find a link.

Edit - here's the link to add your home wifi router to skyhook's database, which should n turn let your ipad 'find' itself when you're at home -

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
If you're not using a 3G iPad, you don't have a gps chip inside - so the location data is based off of known wifi hotspot locations. If your home hotspot location hasn't been mapped, your location services wont know where you are.

There are instructions out there for adding your home wifi to the database of locations used by (is it skyhook?) - ill see if I can find a link.

Edit - here's the link to add your home wifi router to skyhook's database, which should n turn let your ipad 'find' itself when you're at home -

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

Thank you, you are awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.