Unable to do a clean installation

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Superman041, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Superman041 macrumors regular

I have a macbook that was running Mavericks, I erased everything and trying to do a clean installation of Snow Leopard. I try to run the start up disk but keep getting a " you need to restart your computer, hold down the power button it turns off message"

I've tried holding down the option button.

Anyone able to help?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you tried holding the C key when booting with the SL DVD in there?

That should boot to the installer. Then you will need to erase the entire disk, not just Macintosh HD, to get rid of the Mavs recovery partition. To do that make sure you select the drive brand name at the very top of Disk Util then erase the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

3. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

The SL DVD appears, I click on it and then the error message appears after a while.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... so it boots to the DVD... then you select language and you should get a screen that asks if you want to install SL... do you get that far and is that where you are getting hung up??

If you are getting to that screen you need to stop there then go to the Utilities menu and start Disk Utility from there and erase the entire disk like I described.

5. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

When I hold down the "alt" key, it shows the Mac OS X Install DVD, I click it, it loads for a while and then the error message appears.

----------

All I can do is select the DVD, it hangs after that, I cannot select anything afterwards.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is this what you are seeing? That is a kernel panic (crash).

Have you used this same exact DVD to install SL to this same machine before. There are different versions of SL and not all DVDs can be installed to all Macs.

[​IMG]

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Since no one has asked--is there a reason you decided to go back to SL? If you were having problems with Mavericks, perhaps they were not related to Mavericks but related to other issues with your Macbook. Describing why you want to downgrade may help with diagnosing your problem.

8. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Ideally wanted to go back to Mavericks, but thought you had to install SL first again..

----------

yes that is the message, and this disk came with the mac itself.

Thanks for the help by the way!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can go straight to Mavs if you made yourself a USB key installer, or if you still have a Mavs recovery partition. Can you command-r boot to the Mavs recovery partition still?

That DVD should work then, and this KP business is not promising. May be a hardware problem. Like bobr1952 mentioned, were you have some issue with Mavs that may have been hardware related?

10. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

I've used command-r boot, and now it is "starting Internet Recovery"

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... good. Once the recovery screen comes up just erase Macintosh HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS X. That will get you a clean install of Mavs.

Were you having some issue with Mavs before?

12. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Now received an -2002F error :/

The laptop was just running extremely slow, so I thought I would do a clean installation. After all this trouble I probably wouldn't have done it!

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Some Macs were updated with firmware that enabled Internet recovery. There is a list of those here.

[​IMG]

Is this what you are seeing now and that has been spinning the globe for ten minutes? It has to DL about a 650MB recovery utility, so it takes a bit if you have a really slow connection.

I'm wondering if you have some underlying hardware issue that was causing your slowness with Mavs and now the KP business.

14. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes thats the screen, I received an -2002F error. Now connected via an ethernet to see what happens

----------

So I have now got to Disk Utility, what do I do?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Select the drive brand name itself at the very top in the left column then go to the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the drop down then apply that. Once the disk is erased quit Disk Util and click Reinstall OS X. It will take a while to DL and install the ~5GB OS.

Just for drill since you have all this trouble. After you erase the disk click over to the First Aid tab in Disk Util and do a verify disk and see if that reports any errors.

16. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

I erased the disks beforehand, the "Toshiba" one. What do you mean by drive band? I erased the Toshiba... one. I clicked on reinstall OS X . But it says this Apple ID was not used to purchase Lion.

All I want to do is reinstall Snow Leopard..

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I mean select where it says Toshiba and then erase as opposed to selecting Macintosh HD below that.

After the spinning globe business you should have gotten this screen. Then you launched Disk Util and erased. Now command-q to quit Disk Util and you should be back at this screen. Click Reinstall OS X (the second choice on the screen).

[​IMG]

18. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but it says i'm using the wrong apple ID account to install Lion. Can I not install SL?

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you ever purchase Lion with your AppleID? You will need to enter that AppleID to continue with the Lion install then you can upgrade back to Mavs.

You might try the SL DVD again now that we have gotten the drive erased.

20. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

The SL DVD is in the laptop already, how do I load it from it?

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need to restart and option key boot from the DVD. Since the disk is hopefully now already erased you can go straight to the install.

22. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm doesn't want to boot from disk, the Apple logo appears, spinning circle and then after a while the kernel error message.

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So did you ever purchase Lion with your AppleiD. If you did and can recall that info you could go through Internet recovery and get Lion back on there then update to Mavs.

Do you happen to have a Time Machine backup from when you were on Mavs? You can option key boot to that and just restore, or even reinstall Mavs from there.