Unable to do audio-only for videos since 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andronicus, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

So, what I use to do when at work was listen to movies/shows on my iPhone, but not watch the video just audio only. I'm sure most of you knew this was possible, but basically I would play a movie, then push the sleep button & the movie would stop and my screen would be off. Next I would either push play on my headset cord or double click the home button, which brings up the iPod controls and push play and the movie would start playing audio only, but no video. I liked doing this because at my work we can listen to music off our phones/mp3 players, but not watch movies. Since upgrading to iOS 4.2.1 I can't get this trick to work. I try, but it just flashes real quick from play to pause, but never starts playing the audio. Anybody else having this issue? Hopefully my long winded post isn't too confusing. Thanks for any responses!

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not confusing...but why not just listen to music? I'm also pretty sure there's some sites where you can just DL the audio tracks from movies.

3. Andronicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do listen to music, but when I want to laugh and I'm at work I like to listen to episodes of "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia" because I have seen every episode so much that when I listen to it the scene is playing in my head. Have you tried it? I was wondering if everyones phone did it or if it was just unique to mine. Thanks for the response.

4. jason72780 macrumors regular

Mines playing the audio just fine. Through the speaker and not headphones. Not sure if it would make a difference.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Is there a reason why you can't just turn the phone face down? That way it can still play, you can hear it, but you're not watching it.

I"ve never actually tried what you have done, but I never listen to movies either. ;)

6. jason72780 macrumors regular

Just tried it with headphones and it's working there also.

7. Andronicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha, that would work, but the battery last longer when there is no video.

You should try it yourself, see if it works.

8. Andronicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for the info. Which iPhone do you have? iOS?

9. jason72780 macrumors regular

4.2.1 on a 3GS