Unable to do fresh 10.5 install on new 13" MBP with retail Leopard disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ndriver182, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I'm sending my 13" MBP in to Apple to have a minor mechanical issue repaired and so I'm installing a fresh copy of 10.5 just for security reasons. Yeah I know... paranoid maybe, but whatever. I have a time machine backup so it's really no sweat off my back.

In any case, I thought I'd just use my retail 10.5 disc, but it gave me a bunch of grief. When the computer would boot up with the disc it would just go to a gray screen and sit there. You'd hear the CD spin up and then stop and it just sat at the gray screen. I tried holding down 'option' before the full boot and it found the CD, but when you clicked it it would just freeze.

I just put in the Leopard install disc that came with the computer and it's installing just fine.

Any ideas? I guess I'm not too worried since I have the disc that came with the computer and I'll be getting Snow Leopard as well, but it'd be nice to know my retail 10.5 disc would work regardless.

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I had something like this happen to me.

You laptop probably came with 10.5.7, that disk has 10.5.0.

When I had my problem Apple told me " your install disk is older than the computer and updates in the computer need the latest OS. "

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your retail disk will only support models before the date it was stamped.

4. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Boo. Lol. Well, at least when I get my Snow Leopard disc that'll solve that issue. The disc that came with the computer got me a fresh install so I'm good to send it to Apple tomorrow.

Thanks for the clarification!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you did a secure-wipe, reinstalling really does nothing.