Unable to Download in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BreakGuy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

An attempt to make a download in the iTunes store warrants the following message:

[​IMG]

I've checked the permissions of the folders within and including the iTunes folder and the permissions are set to Read/Write.

2. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Following an attempt to Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility, the problem persists.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The message refers to a folder IN itunes, could be a pain to track down. You've tried a DP repair so that isn't helping you, you may have to dig through the folders in iTunes and check the permissions on each until you find the one (or more) that have not been assigned write permissions,

4. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Please tell me I don't have to go through and check each Artist folder and every Album subfolder?

Does setting the iTunes folder's permissions to Read/Write and having it apply to all the enclosing items include the subfolders in the iTunes folder?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It should...But you've tried a permissions repair. The only thing I can think of is that something in your library has become corrupt.

6. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I've sent an email to Apple using Express Lane. Hopefully they'll be able to share some insight into this.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They may take you through a permissions repair in recovery mode....Would have suggested it before, but it seldom seems to work.

If you have EL then I'd leave it to them.

8. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Apple are useless through Express Lane. They just told me to ring for technical support... ha! I'm not giving them a cent of my money to sort out these petty issues.

So, the issue remains unresolved.

9. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I've tried to uninstall iTunes and remove all its associated files and folders, then redownload iTunes, so there would be all new folders set up... the issue remains.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

A permissions repair might not even check those folders. Many people mistakenly think that repairing permissions fixes permissions everywhere, but it simply checks against the installed packages and fixes the permissions of the files that were installed. As the iTunes Media folder is created by iTunes at launch and not when it is installed, it likely wouldn't be looked at by a permissions repair.

OP, have you tried resetting your home folder permissions/ACL's? You do that via the Reset Password tool on the install disk or recovery partition.

jW

11. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

No I haven't. I'm running OS X Lion, but my install disk is that of Snow Leopard. Would resetting the permissions off the install disk risk in some way corrupting or otherwise affecting the current OS X Lion system?

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would use the recovery partition then.

1. Restart the computer and hold Command-R to boot from the Recovery Partition (or hold Option and choose it from the bootloader).
    2. From the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, choose Terminal.
    3. Type in "resetpassword" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    4. Choose your drive, then select your username in the drop-down menu, then click the button at the bottom that says "Reset home directory permissions and ACL's".

That may or may not fix the problem, but I think it's a good thing to try in this case.

jW

13. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

This hasn't worked either. I'm completely lost for words. I cannot work out why iTunes is not downloading music.

By the way, I've noticed that Podcasts download without problem.

14. LaWally macrumors 6502a

You could try creating a new iTunes Library and download the music to the new library, but be advised:

1) if you then move the music from the new library to the old library you will most probably have the same problem the next time you download music since you have not resolved the original problem.

2) if you move the music from your old library to the new library you might move the problem with it.

However, this might give you a work-around until the original problem is resolved, albeit a somewhat awkward one.

15. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I tried that. I went to my library, selected all the tracks and dragged them into a new folder, so that just the individual files were present. I then proceeded to completely wipe all the iTunes folders from my Home folder. I uninstalled iTunes, redownloaded and installed it. Placed my music files back into iTunes so iTunes would recreate all the folders it needed and the problem persists.