Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
So, I'm trying to watch a TV show that I purchased the Season Pass the night before on my AppleTV and when I pressed "play" I suddenly got this message saying "This Item Cannot be Downloaded on This Network. You must connect to a W-Fi network or download it on your computer." I tried it on all my AppleTVs, I have 3. Same message. Unplugged/restarted AppleTVs and internet.

What gives?

criticalb

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Same here - Netflix, home sharing, and match all work fine, but movie rentals and season passes - basically anything that streams from apple - aren't working. I get the same message.

Same issue on the iPad at the moment too.

rlogan814

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Same here, I just purchased atv3 today. I have 2 atv2's. Netflix plays iTunes shows won't. I thought there was something wrong with the new atv3.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Same here. I tried recycling ATV2 and even reconfigured the WiFi on the ATV2. Neither helped.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Same here. AppleTV 2... something must be going on with the iTunes store or iCloud servers. Wifi network is fine (obviously) and I'm able to stream my own movies from my local iTunes library over the network.

falkirk18

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Same here... Just tried purchasing two movies for my kids on our Mac Mini connected to an Airport Extreme. Weird??!!

bayarea420

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Ipad2

I'm having this problem with my iPad 2 haven't tried with my apple tv yet, I guess it is a problem with apple/iTunes I doubt all of us would be having wifi issues

Toddlyles

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Same

I can stream trailers, but I can't buy anything. Apple tv 3 here.

I suspect it's because the terms and conditions in the store have changed. No way to force a dialog to come up on the apple tv that I can find.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Add me to the 'me too' brigade.

My AppleTV is on a wired network. I thought that message was odd. After rebooting the AppleTV, rebooting the network, confirming that my other devices accessed the network just fine, confirming that the AppleTV itself could access the network (watched a movie preview), it still gave that same message.

I imagine this will be fixed pretty quick.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Definitely a problem with the iTunes Store. I went to my computer to try to download from the cloud ... got the same error.

Xenu007

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Can't purchase and download movie from iTunes on iMac

Same here. iTunes won't let me purchase and download a movie onto my iMac (65 MBPS cable connection). Same error message.

This item cannot be downloaded on this network. You must connect to a Wi-Fi network or download on your computer.

Why is iTunes treating my DSL connected iMac like a 3G IOS device??

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Same. I can't even watch purchased movies on my WiFi network using Home Sharing. I had to use AirPlay.

Northland5

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Same results and message using well established iMac and network. Tunes and apps are making it down but my attempts at Star Trek are DENIED.

genevish

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Still happening

Trying to buy a movie on both my iPad and my MacMini. I'm in Atlanta, GA. Apple's iCloud status page says all services are operational. Hmmm....

RTW

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Happening to me, too, trying to buy an HD TV episode. I have a 1st gen Apple TV on a long-standing network over which I have always been able to purchase TV shows.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
same problem here.

Never happened before. Come on Apple ! I thought it would take longer to drown since the great SJ left !

havilah

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Ditto

So lame. I'm getting the exact same message.:mad:
Just off the phone with :apple: and y'all are (naturally) right, their server is down. She had no ETA for when that issue would be resolved. In fact, just before hanging up she said, "Maybe try again tomorrow". Ugh.

You guys can judge me all you want for this, but I do not like missing The &^%$% Real Housewives! Solve. the issue, :apple: . Solve it!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I'm on hold with Apple support now, but I'm not expecting much...

On hold with :apple: now, but naturally I'm on hold for "longer than 15 minutes". Anyone been able to get through and verify if it's an outage and how long it's expected to go on?

You guys can judge me all you want for this, but I do not like missing The &^%$% Real Housewives! Solve. the issue, :apple: .

Okay. "yay" somewhat. At least I'm not being singled out.

I called AppleCare. He said there's nothing wrong with my ATV or my network connection. He said the problem is on iTunes' side and I should email them. He will note on my account that I have already troubleshooted the hardware and network problem with him.

I wonder if Apple (or him?) are aware of this "outage"?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
On hold with :apple: now, but naturally I'm on hold for "longer than 15 minutes". Anyone been able to get through and verify if it's an outage and how long it's expected to go on?

You guys can judge me all you want for this, but I do not like missing The &^%$% Real Housewives! Solve. the issue, :apple: .

I got through to Apple Support and, yes, they're aware of the situation. There are servers down and they're working on getting them online. No estimated time of repair yet. It took me about 12.5 minutes to get to a support representative.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I got through to Apple Support and, yes, they're aware of the situation. There are servers down and they're working on getting them online. No estimated time of repair yet. It took me about 12.5 minutes to get to a support representative.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Same

Sux. iPad 2. 3 hour flight tomorrow. Just want to rent a movie.

Rarely do. One time I want to... This?

rlogan814

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Still able to stream Purchased content through the home sharing option. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.