Unable to eject iPhone from Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rodan52, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

Yesterday after downloading photos from my iPhone 5s to Mac Photos for the first time since iOS 8.3 and OSX 10.10.3 updates on the weekend. I do not have the option to "sync this phone to iTunes when connected" ticked so only Photos opens. After download I wanted to eject the phone but noted no eject arrow in Photos, I went to a new Finder window and was surprised to see the phone was not listed under Devices so I had to launch iTunes and allow a sync to complete before I could eject. This is plainly not right, the industry and Apple themselves tell us constantly that we must "Eject" before removal of a USB device. If not one usually gets a dialogue box to say the device was not properly ejected.
    Is this a bug? I have found two other articles from users on exactly the same problem so it's not just me. See this one from Apple Support Communities;
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6993513

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPhones and other iOS devices do not have to be ejected. They are different from iPods and other USB drives.

3. Rodan52 thread starter macrumors regular

Rodan52

Why then is there an eject button in iTunes for all iOS devices?:confused:
    Perhaps that will disappear too when iTunes becomes Music? (Tongue in cheek)

4. benrd macrumors member

I too just moved my photos from iphone to the new photos app and it took 5 times to sync as kept freezing which was pain but i think all okay now.

quick question though, I did this by manually importing from the phone... what happens if i now tick the box in itunes to use the photos app?
    will it sync into there via itunes every time?

i clicked the tick and the little preview for use of storage on my phone shot right down as though there were no photos so i quickly cancelled it and in fear of losing anything?!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The button is there to satisfy the desire of people who believe that all USB devices must be ejected when iOS devices do not need to be.