unable to empty trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the revelators, Aug 8, 2011.

1. the revelators macrumors newbie

When I try to empty my trash I am getting the following message:
    The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

I am unable to find info on error code -8003.

I believe it has come about because I wanted to make some space on my external hard drive and tried to trash some earlier time machine backups. I did some research on time machine and it is probably the problem. I tried to change my time machine back up disc to see if it would get around the problem but it hasnt.

Can someone enlighten me?

2. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Just out of interest, why would you want to create some extra space on your external drive? Time Machine automatically deletes the oldest back-ups when the drive gets full. Unless you are using the drive to hold other stuff as well, TM likes to have the drive all to itself and it can get pretty problematic.

I've never heard of the error code but my first suggestion would be to turn off TM completely in :apple:>System Preferences as that will prevent any sharing violations. Try that, re-boot then empty the trash.

3. the revelators thread starter macrumors newbie

Just out of interest, why would you want to create some extra space on your external drive? Time Machine automatically deletes the oldest back-ups when the drive gets full. Unless you are using the drive to hold other stuff as well, TM likes to have the drive all to itself and it can get pretty problematic.

I am using the drive for other stuff but i can see from my reading that this might be an issue so after i fix this problem i will leave the partition just for time machine.

I've never heard of the error code but my first suggestion would be to turn off TM completely in >System Preferences as that will prevent any sharing violations. Try that, re-boot then empty the trash.

I did try that and it didn't make any difference.I also tried secure empty trash. I then tried taking the backup files out of the trash and putting them back on the Ext HD but it wouldn't accept them. Next I am gong to backup up the HD on another Ext HD using TM then I will erase the original TM partition. Hopefully that will allow my trash to empty.
    Otherwise have you heard of the freeware and shareware programmes Trash it! and Cocktail? They are mentioned here: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html
    I wonder if they might be able to help?

Thanks for your suggestions

4. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I too have shared my designated Time Machine drive with other files, that's how I know it's problematic!;)

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I do that on my Time Capsule and I haven't had any problems so far

6. the revelators thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though I have now assigned TM to a new ext HD and backed up my laptop, I cant get rid of the error code -8003 so I am taking everything off the original partition and then i am going to erase it. That should fix it and hopefully the 8003 error code will go!