Unable to end calls without a reboot

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by austy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. austy macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have been getting this problem for a while now and it is very irritating!

Sometimes during a call I get cut off from the caller, I don't get a lost connection tone or anything there is just silence. Then when I press the end call button the iphone says ending call and stays like that. If I press the home key I am taken to the home screen with the a message at the top of the screen as if the call is still in progress when I press the lock button it locks the phone and has the call as still in progress at the top of the screen, When I unlock it it takes me back into the call as if it is still on going!!!!! The only way to end the call is to reboot the phone.

I have tried formatting the phone and changing the carrier settings with no joy.

Is anyone else getting this issue! HELP

Cheers,
    Austin.

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Which model of iPhone are do you have and what version of iOS is it running? Have you updated to iOS 5.1?

I seem to recall a similar issue with iOS 4 on iPhone 4...

RTP.

3. austy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an iPhone 4 running ios5.1, but I have been getting this issue since ios4.

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

If you've been having the issue with iOS 4 as well, then it sounds more like a hardware issue as you're still experiencing the problem after probably multiple resets and restarts after updating the OS to 5.1.

Obvious question: You're not experiencing the 'death grip' issue are you? (do you notice a drop in signal strength, and are you using a bumper/case on your iPhone?).

Ultimately, you may need to drop in to an Apple store if they have one nearby. They can hook it up to a diagnostic system which gives them all sorts of information including the number of dropped calls experienced...

RTP.

5. Spacely Jake macrumors newbie

Same issue here. Verizon iPhone 4S. I didn't experience the problem until I upgraded to iOS 5.1. I have an Otterbox cover, so I'm definitely not in contact with any metal part of the phone. I was not on speaker phone and not using a headset.

I did notice that somewhere in the process of hanging up (meaning I took the phone away from my head and clicked "End Call", then looked at the screen) the phone lost connectivity. It quickly gets 3-4 bars back again, but has to wait for 3G to reconnect. It seems like something in the process of ending the call, or the caller ending the call, causes the phone to lose connectivity, not the other way around. But without a log file showing the sequence of events, it happens too quickly to tell for certain.

I will also note that after rebooting the phone, the call does not show up in the "Recent Calls" log.

Jake