Unable to Filter Emails in Mail.app?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by drew627, Jun 28, 2013.

1. drew627 macrumors regular

I've never had "too many" problems with Mail.app before, but recently (upon upgrading to DP2 I think) I haven't been able to filter my emails through the upper right search box. It works fine in spotlight - I can search for specific emails as usual. The deprecated search has led to another problem - my smart mailboxes don't work anymore! They won't show any emails that fit the rules!

I've tried rebuilding, resetting envelop index (but Mail didn't rebuild one and crashed so I had to copy the original back - makes me wonder if it's something wrong with indexing?), removing my accounts from Internet Accounts and delete everything associated with Mail.app. None of these approaches worked. :(

Is anybody else having problems with Mail? Could you try to use the filter function in Mail and share the results? Thanks!

2. whitehawk.mac macrumors newbie

I have experienced the same issue. I also tried rebuilding my inbox, but the problem didn't go away.

3. drew627 thread starter macrumors regular

Glad that i'm not alone... but it doesn't bode well for both of us that this thread took over a month to get a reply :(

4. whitehawk.mac macrumors newbie

Fortunately on another thread, someone suggested to check Spotlight preferences. When I did, I realized, that my Mavericks volume was not indexed. I deleted it from the exclusion list and now my Mail search is working :)

5. drew627 thread starter macrumors regular

But this isn't my case. Note that I said I can search for my emails in spotlight just fine, but they never show up in a Finder search or Mail.app search. Interestingly, Mail actually suggests related searches (the dropdown menu when you type in something) but nothing shows up!!! I can still find specific emails using the usual spotlight way but this is definitely a major annoyance.

6. danieliversen macrumors newbie